Main Menu

70 Master Cylinder Casting Number Question

Started by 7E-Bodies, April 30, 2020, 10:05:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Sorry if this is already in a thread somewhere, but I'm looking for a proper casting number as I'm searching for a correct master cylinder for my 70 Challenger RT with power brakes, front disk, rear drum. SPD was 11/04/69. Any help?

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

2229171, unless it's a hemi car.
If you can find one, it will cost you around what you paid for 2 or 3 E bodies you mentioned buying years back in the other thread.
If it's a hemi car, add one more E body purchase price from days past to the value.

anlauto

Yup....looked at two at Carlisle last Summer $1000.00 each :o kept looking :('
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

If you want a close looking OEM master cylinder that is a budget substitute, the '67-'70 A body disc master cylinder with casting 2225541 can be used. It's a little smaller, maybe 7/8ths the size of 2229171, but has the same 1" bore and functions pretty much the same.
Kanter Auto Products has been selling some, they have pushrods and mounting studs which can be removed easily for mounting on a booster (the A body MC was used on both manual and power brake applications), and I think they were around 200 or $225 each.

7E-Bodies

These are the two I've found in my parts stash (so far)

7E-Bodies

@JH27N0B check this out. Looked in one last tub marked "old Mopar brake stuff". I bet the neighbors heard the scream!
2229171 Bendix. Can't quite make out the other raised number by the flange. Any help?
Check out the NAPA box it was in, marked "Valuable Core". No Sh**!
Kevin

JS29

JH27N0B

That's a good find, hopefully it's restorable.  Will require being sleeved at a minimum.  Around a year ago the aftermarket kits that were being used to rebuild these was discontinued, and I'm not sure what is being used now.  At any rate Brad at Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN is the guy to talk to.
The number on the bottom is some sort of date code for the casting. I don't know how to decode but a few have investigated it like Dragon Slayer on Moparts.  The number I find most critical is the assembly date code stamped in the side of the casting.  Second line of that stamp is the date code.  You'll need to media blast the part to find it probably, even then with rust pitting sometimes it can be obliterated on a "well seasoned" master cylinder.

7E-Bodies

I reached out to White for the rebuild. Is that a mistake?

JH27N0B

White Post sucks and have screwed up 9171s.  They used a kit with a too short primary piston and later when customers installed they'd find the master cylinder didn't work.
And the guy there showed the customers attitudes when they'd call to complain. I don't know if they ever got their act together on this issue.
Brake and Equipment knows these well and even makes their own pistons for them.  It is seal availability that is the issue, there was a kit for A body disc MCs that had the correct 1" seals that rebuilders would pirate them from, and that kit is now discontinued so I don't know if another source for the seals has been found

7E-Bodies

@JH27N0B this is the info I'm after. Thanks a ton!

Kevin

7E-Bodies

@JH27N0B best I could get with a quick wire brush and some solvent. Further forensics might get it, but I'm seeing a 9, which gives me hope of originality since my build was 11/4/69.

JS29

7E-Bodies

JH27N0B

The datecode is 4 numbers, such as 0 123, which would be the 123rd day of 1970.