Main Menu

A66 Wheels/Tires....almost there and could need some help before placing order

Started by kawahonda, June 18, 2018, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

I guess i'm a little lost on how the backspace effects the ring fitment. I could see how the size of the wheel (15 x 7 vs 15 x 8) affects the ring fitment, but I guess I just don't get how the backspace effects a trim ring. Maybe i need some illustrations.

At any case, I want 15 x 7 Rallye wheels that look original, that will make 235's look nice and chunky in the fender wells. I'm ready to order, but I don't feel like I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger.

The US Wheel Brand seems to offer the best looking (and most stock ) Rallye wheels. Wheel Vintages doesn't look correct.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

I think I understand why the backspacing effects the ring. The rings draw "backward".

Upon further research, the 15 x 7's from US Wheel ONLY come in 4.5" backspacing. So that's a constant!

Looks like US Wheel sells multiple trim rings. They have 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3".

The 3" Trim Ring that US Wheel sells stay "for 15 x 8 and 15 x 10 wheels ONLY".

Would that mean I need a 2.0" or 2.5" ring?

2.5" rounded: https://www.uswheel.com/collections/accessories/products/trim-ring-2-0-rounded

2.0" rounded: https://www.uswheel.com/collections/accessories/products/trim-ring-2-0-rounded

Sorry for the questions. I want to make sure I get this right!

kawahonda

OK, I am an idiot!  :thinking:

For the longest time, I thought the "trim ring" was that little circular ring that went around the center hub piece. That's what most of the pictures looked like online so that's why I was led to believe that.

I'm now realizing that the trim ring is the actual the wheel ring...it's a large piece. In-fact, it's what gives these wheels the "bling"!

OK, now that we got that out of the way, this brings more clarity to the discussion. AWESOME pics Runcharger. Really appreciated.

I believe that US Wheel and Wheel Vintiques probably sell the same exact wheel. Both are "Made in the USA".

With that said, I think if I am sticking with 235 tires all around, I should consider 4.25" over 4.50". This will push out the wheel/tire a fraction more towards the fender and help "fill the space" up a little bit more. Plus, as you mentioned Runcharger, the stockies were 4.25".

BUT, if I'm hearing everyone correctly, if I get a 4.25" aftermarket Rallye wheel, I will have some gap between the inner face of the wheel, and the edge of the trim ring. This kinda sucks.

So now I'm back to figuring out which trim rings that will lead to a nice flush fit for 4.25" BS 15 x 7 Rallye wheel. Maybe since this thread is so convoluted I may start another thread that's aftermarket Rallye specific...

According to your measurements, I need a 3" depth ring.  There is also the real possibility that I am fretting way too much over a 1/4" gap. That's not very big!

RUNCHARGER

There you go: The big thing is you don't want those rings to be 1/4" too wide. If you order them together from the same place they should work or they'll take care of you. The Wheel Vintiques stuff seems to be okay and you can order them from Summit.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Here's an interesting question to you all...

I already have 14" Rallyes. Yes, they look cool. But aftermarket Rallyes are not necessarily "factory equivalents," either. I cannot get US Wheel, Wheel Vintiques to reply back to my emails. I'm pretty much asking them to take my money, but I would like to see real world pictures of the trim rings and the 4.50 and 4.25 BS wheels. It's not a hard ask.

I've been thinking of Magnum 500s in 15 x 7 w/ 4.25" bs. No trim rings to worry about "fitting" right or "falling" off. Plus, Magnum 500s look really good on Challengers, as do the Rallyes. 4.25" will allow 235 tires to look "just right" (my own mental guessing). 4.50" would work too (I'm guessing). I'm "guessing" that 4.25 and 4.50 would look close to the same, but the slight edge goes to 4.25s unless the driver has plans to put 275s on the rear (which I really don't). 4.25's also are a nice "median" backspace for the front and the rear.....

There "may" be a company that even makes cast aluminum in Magnums which would be a bonus!

Getting Aftermarket Rallye steelies is at least $200 per wheel. That's pretty close to aluminum pricing. Lighter wheels has many benefits, though I'm not really sure if cast aluminum is all that much lighter than cast steel. Opinions?

Can you guys give me a history of Magnum 500s? I've seen them in 70s Dodge ads. They're arguably just as originals as Rallyes, and it seems to me that aftermarket Rallyes are not even close to matching the originals. If only I had real 15 x 7 mopar Rallyes, I wouldn't be asking, but maybe it's good to stand back and look at Magnum 500s too...

Hope you're all enjoying this trainwreck of a thread. :)

The nice thing about Magnums is that you focus more on the car. The Rallyes kinda make you focus more on the wheels. My GF likes the magnums more. My dad is on the fence.

kawahonda

7212Mopar

Both rallye and magnum are available in alluminum but in 17" . They are sold under Yearone but I think Summit also carry them now to avoid ridiculous shipping charges from Yearone.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

kawahonda

Thanks. It's nice that they are aluminum, but 17's don't look right IMO.

Do you know if any other company makes 15 Magnums in aluminum?

RUNCHARGER

Wheel Vintiques makes the Magnums as well. The stock Magnums on Mopars only came in 14 inch but yes you can easily get 15's all chrome. I think the only cast wheels start at 17 inch but I'm not certain on that.
My thought is that the 15 inch tire choice is drying up. If I was going aluminum wheels I would go to the 17 inch Magnums or Rallyes for the better tire choice.
Sheldon

kawahonda

Do you suppose my 14" rallye caps would fit on aftermarket 15" rallyes?

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

kawahonda

Here’s alloy 15 x 7 magnums.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/mobile/15-x-7-Cast-Aluminum-Magnum-500-Wheel--P482330.aspx

Any reason those wouldn’t fit like a glove?

What’s the estimated weight savings per wheel with those compared to steelies?

Rule of thumb is 3-4lbs savings per wheel. So 12-16lbs total less.

kawahonda

The Drake Magnum 500 wheels are 16lbs each. They seem to be very good quality. You can get a set of 4 for $600.

They come with legendary branded "caps" so you can always switch to the "bullseye" in the future.

Here's the specs of the one I'm eye. Boy, it looks pretty darn close to the OEM 15 x 7 Mopar Rallye wheels.

Run-charger, do you mind throwing your 15 x 7 Rallye wheel on the bathroom scale, with the trim ring and cap?

20 lbs in unsprung weight savings I think is a pretty good upgrade. My thought is to buy these, and be on the lookout for original Rallyes. These wheels will help my performance goals too. :)

RUNCHARGER

Ah: I put them back in storage now. I'm pretty sure the 15X7 is right at 30lbs for the wheel only.
Sheldon

kawahonda

30lbs? Holy crap. I mean wow!

Defiantly these magnums then! That would be 14lbs lighter per wheel! Totaling 56lbs lighter in unsprung  weight. Or, basically my car losing 200lbs.

I think that makes this an obvious decision. Plus, I'll keep my original rallyes in the attic. :)