Main Menu

Anyone with experience with 18's

Started by nsmall, November 04, 2017, 09:46:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Thanks to @303 Mopar I have found the rims that should finish off my car to my liking.

So I spoke with @72bluNblu and between Bryan and Dan, I am excited about buying different rims.

My question is has anyone ever had "fitment issues" with the following?
18 X 8 front with 245/45/18
18 X 9.5 rear with 275/40/18

I essentially have stock suspension on a 73 Cuda.

The wheels are http://us-mags.com/rambler-u111-w-6133.htm, probably going to copy Dan and buy the Hankook-Ventus V12 EV02 K120 tires.

My car is missing fenders, so its hard to measure right now.  I was looking at buying the wheels around Thanksgiving to hopefully score some deal.

Thanks

YellowThumper

Fwiw. I have rallyes with custom width of 8.5. BS is 4-3/4 with 275-60s on them. Clearance from tire to the leafs are LESS than 1/2 inch. However, they do not rub. Outside to lip is a bit more. Again this is with 8.5. Adding in another inch will be tough as all additional width has to come outward. If you are ok with trimming the fender lip there should be enough room. I say should because these cars have very loose assembly tolerances. It would be prudent to take drop measurmen's from inner fender lip and axle flange to know differences between the sides. Would not hurt to check and compare leafs to flanges also. Rim diameter is irrelevant as long as overall outer tire diameter remains close to same as the old tires. Go on line and find tire conversion charts and compare the old dames to the new ones you are considering.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

nsmall

Here is some more information:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usm-u11118956552  These are for the rear, 5.25 inch backspacing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/usm-u11118806545  These are for the front, 4.5 inch backspacing

I have a small block.

I am willing to buy bigger torsion bars if needed.  PST has a pair of 1.03 torsion bars I would consider buying:
https://p-s-t.com/i-23157797-1-03-torsion-bar-b-e-body.html

These could help lower the front.

I have KYB's for shocks.

Basically I am copying 303Mopar, but he has some large torsion bars and different shocks.

Thanks in advance.

Crash520

Ref torsion bars, don't be afraid to go bigger, I've got the same car, got some 1.06 bars from Firm Feel, should have gone 1.2, at least! Most other guys who have upgraded say the same thing.
I have QA1 adjustable shocks all round and absolutely love them and their tunability. Your back wheel size sound doable with the factory set up, I have 295's under mine with no lip roll or rub, BUT, I did relocate springs an inch and threw in a B body diff, have 10' rims with 5.5"bs, I'm going to 18's eventually and will be putting 18x11 6"bs with prob 295's, I can go much wider rim as there is less sidewall balloon with 18's, to be honest I haven't even thought about the fronts yet
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

CudaMoparRay

On the same quest so subscribing to this thread.

Brads70

Quote from: Crash520 on November 04, 2017, 02:13:41 PM
Red torsion bars, don't be afraid to go bigger, I've got the same car, got some 1.06 bars from Firm Feel, should have gone 1.2, at least! Most other guys who have upgraded say the same thing.
I have QA1 adjustable shocks all round and absolutely love them and their tunability. Your back wheel size sound doable with the factory set up, I have 295's under mine with no lip roll or rub, BUT, I did relocate springs an inch and threw in a B body diff, have 10' rims with 5.5"bs, I'm going to 18's eventually and will be putting 18x11 6"bs with prob 295's, I can go much wider rim as there is less sidewall balloon with 18's, to be honest I haven't even thought about the fronts yet

:iagree: I bought torsion bars 3x ( learn from my expensive mistakes!) I now have 1.120" FF bars now and like it.
I have 295/40/18 under my rear end now with 18x11" rims with 5.5" backspacing. I also have DrDiff relocation kit and a B-Body width rear end . Fits fine with me and any passenger in the front seat, never rubs, when adults sit in the rear it rubs when I hit a good bump. But I have my car lowered also. This also on a Challenger , I've read that they have slightly more room than a Cuda? I have no experience with that, just what I've read. 
The fronts on mine..... don't apply LOL
Hope that helps!  :wave:

shawge

Front 18x9.5, 5.5 BS with 275-35 Nitto 555, DrDiff brake kit
Rear 18x10 5.25 BS with 285-40 Nitto 555. DrDiff brake kit, B-body rear. 1" relocation
Running 1.12 TBs from FF, may go larger.
Viking double adjustables front/rear
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet