Main Menu

Brake Fluid Amount

Started by Daveh, August 09, 2017, 07:54:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cordodge

Quote from: Daveh on August 09, 2017, 11:38:20 AM
No issues at all.  If you recall I just got the car painted and decided to use DOT 5 because I don't want to ruin my nice new paint when I install the clutch and brake master cylinder.  The system is brand new so I wanted to start fresh.  Thanks

Are you running a HRB hydraulic clutch? reason I ask is my instructions from hydromax was to only run dot 3 which I did not want to do but they said dot 5 would eat the rubber seals??

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: cordodge on August 10, 2017, 01:21:49 PM
Quote from: Daveh on August 09, 2017, 11:38:20 AM
No issues at all.  If you recall I just got the car painted and decided to use DOT 5 because I don't want to ruin my nice new paint when I install the clutch and brake master cylinder.  The system is brand new so I wanted to start fresh.  Thanks

Are you running a HRB hydraulic clutch? reason I ask is my instructions from hydromax was to only run dot 3 which I did not want to do but they said dot 5 would eat the rubber seals??

FWIW my SST clutch said the same thing. I contacted wilwood directly and they said DOT5 was just fine for their master. I have not confirmed that is the case for my throwout bearing, but I suspect it is.

Unfortunately I filled my clutch before seeing that warning and the only way to really flush it is to remove it. So I will continue using DOT5 on it until something lets go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Daveh

There is a myth that DOT 5 eats the seals but there have been many tests contradicting that.  The only thing the fluid said on the bottle is that you shouldn't use it on ABS systems.