Main Menu

connecting brake pedal to new booster rod

Started by tparker, March 23, 2022, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I bought an aftermarket disc brake conversion kit, which I'm not too happy with, and the booster rod is about half as thin as the original. See photo. The original is about 1/2 inch and the new one is about 1/4. The problem is that the bolt is stepped and contoured which don't allow for the pedal and the rod to mate together. There is a little gap as you can kinda make out in the photo. I assume this is common for aftermarket kits. Has anyone encountered this issue? I can probably use some sort of collar/bushing or something similar.

jt4406

Remove the pivot bolt, bottom it in the original booster rod, measure amount of "step" protruding. Find some spacers (flat washers, etc) that fit the pivot bolt snug and allow the same amount of protrusion with the new thinner booster rod, arrange them (side to side) with the new booster rod to align it as straight into the back of the booster as possible, tighten securely. Make sure the booster rod does NOT get pinched by the pivot bolt when tight. It must be able to rotate, or your brake pedal will not return when the brake is applied. My .02, jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

anlauto

The aftermarket ones I bought came with a new bolt  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

@jt4406 Thanks, that is essentially. thinking of.
@anlauto I probably have the new bolt. I'll have to dig it out. I prefer to use the original if possible so I don't loose it. LOL