Main Menu

Borgeson power steering upgrade?

Started by gumby, February 26, 2018, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gumby

Searched, did not find anything? No one has done this yet?

I find that hard to believe? http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0002

303 Mopar

I considered it, but by the time you add everything up it is kinda pricey so I opted for a FirmFeel Stage III.

gumby

Reason I'm asking, is tti offers headers for use with Borgeson only? Guess I'll call them.

RUNCHARGER

There was a thread on the installation on Moparts a few years ago. As I remember the installation had lineup problems but they've probably rectified by now. Go to Moparts and do a search and you should get some info.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

My stage III is precise and works great.  Alot more for alot less??  To me the Borg is just a rehabbed F150 box..... 

shawge

Some of the 1st gen Borg boxes had an input shaft alignment issues where the shaft would point more towards the engine. 

Some 2nd gen boxes had the same issue.

People fixed it by doing some trig and making a tapered shim to realign the shaft.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

GoodysGotaCuda

I had to shim my borgeson box slightly. 2,200 miles in and it's been fine.

By the time I would have shipped a stock box to firm feel and back, I was within $100 of the Borgeson. I then sold my old box for $100 or so. I'm not sure there is much money to be saved with a Firm Feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

I got my Borgeson box and the coupler from BAC. Everything dropped in place fine. I got the second gen and  it points toward the DS fender at an angle. I was worry at first but found out it was designed as such. He steering shaft connects to the box at a slight angle but compensated by the coupler. There is no binding and it turns smooth. I only have like a quarter turn difference lock to lock between left to right with the box centered. The only issue I need to deal with was the Moog pittman arm attachment to the sector shaft. It will not seat fully when the nut is torque down. I had to clean up the splines at the pittman arm with a fine file to get it seated. This should be check and tested prior to install. Also the stock sector shaft nut if in good shape should be used instead of the nut that comes with the box. The steel seems softer than the stock nut.

I gained lots of room and saved some weight. Unlike the stock box, there is no leak. I figure the Firm feel box will still have the worn out gear. Not too much cost wise by the time you add up the shipping costs to and back from Firmfeel.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7212Mopar on March 03, 2018, 11:28:56 AM
I only have like a quarter turn difference lock to lock between left to right with the box centered.

How about the fact that your tie rods need different lengths to compensate for the pitman arm not being where is should be?  That definitely will effect measurable bump steer from right to left.... 

7212Mopar

Will find out when test drive. The master spline line up between the sector shaft and the Pittman arm. The tie rods are same length on both sides. Steering wheel center and tires are straight. For whatever reasons there is a quarter turn difference in the steering wheel between full left and full right but the wheels turn the same amount. According to Peter at BAC, that is the way of the Borgeson box. Mine is not the only one. I don't know if Goody has the same issue. So far, steering feels good on the ground with engine running. It is just that my car is not ready for the street. My reply is just to give the OP some feedback on the Borgeson box.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Well then the box isn't centered... And that means if you adjust the box to eliminate slop where your steering wheel is straight it will be to tight when you turn in the direction that takes the extra 1/4 turn because steering gears are ground in what called a "Crown gear"... When the box is on it's designed center you set it up with zero lash, but as soon as the box comes off center the clearance opens up.... Normally not an issue since when your turning a little slop won't be noticed... 

Priesty

I fitted a Borgeson box to my 72 about 4 years ago. Tighter steering ratio & better feel over original, can't compare to firm feel as I have no experience of their products.
If you do go that way, make sure you spring a little extra for the custom Bergman steering coupler, so you don't have to cut/modify your original steering shaft, makes the whole fit-up pretty painless.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

PLUM72

What's the real cost in doing this upgrade?  The Bergman kit is a little more than $800.  Then there is lines and a P/S pump.  What else?
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: PLUM72 on March 04, 2018, 03:01:31 PM
What's the real cost in doing this upgrade?  The Bergman kit is a little more than $800.  Then there is lines and a P/S pump.  What else?

I paid $707 all in with the ujoint. Made my own lines for another $40 or so. Sold my old box for $150 shipped, so about $627 net.

Firm feel is $400 plus shipping both ways, which was about $90 and i needed new factory lines and the stock coupler rebuilt. Figured I'd go for the better ratio box.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs