Main Menu

Custom Chassis ?

Started by anlauto, February 15, 2022, 12:17:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

Been available for some time. They have Youtube channel updating builds every month. Change a unibody car to a frame car but they claim weight reduction. This is an expensive option to go IMO.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

I have a potential customer asking if I can do it....but he's waiting for a cost estimate of the chassis still....I think the idea will be off the table once he gets that estimate... :bigmoney: :bigmoney: :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Bullitt-

I checked the least expensive options that added something to the basic $10K frame to see what the least a complete setup would cost & got $20K+....  :looney:

EDIDT/corrected: Redid the estimate online & price was considerably less than I thought I got the 1st time...
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

70vert

is there anything close to $30k of benefit to a "frame" verse unibody? I am sure there are a lot cheaper ways for weight reduction. I am guessing also some structural rigidity improvement?

Brads70

Just my opinion, but to me it would devalue the car? Keep in mind I'm pretty far from a purist also.
If you had 2 cars side by side with everything the same ( drivetrains etc..) one with original type suspension and another  with a "custom chassis" which car are you going to take?
I don't think anyone would be able to recoup the money to build and install a custom chassis in the sale down the road. Not money well spent IMO...
Maybe if the original car/chassis was damaged, wrote off or rotted away beyond repair it would be do-able...? 
I'd build my own chassis before I spent any where near 10k or 30K like what was mentioned. 
You do know , even with todays steel prices there is not 2k worth of steel in that chassis. :looney:

I still have my " irons in the fire" if you will with a local guy that has a Daytona clone and if I ever get it I might build a chassis for it if its too rotten 

Dakota

Alan,

There's a full build of a 70 Challenger from the TV show "Detroit Muscle" involving a Schwartz chassis available through the YouTube link below.   The chassis part of the build is covered in the first 40 minutes of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEuHGKJu3E

Filthy Filbert

That would be a hard no for me.

I could probably get a unibody chassis stiff enough to match the handling performance of a car with that "add-on full frame"  Subframe connectors, torque boxes, some cross members here and there, stiffer torsion bars, bigger sway bars, properly valved shocks, my own big brake conversion...

anlauto

Quote from: Dakota on February 16, 2022, 01:28:09 AM
Alan,

There's a full build of a 70 Challenger from the TV show "Detroit Muscle" involving a Schwartz chassis available through the YouTube link below.   The chassis part of the build is covered in the first 40 minutes of the video.

Thank you very much for that link... :twothumbsup:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Dakota on February 16, 2022, 01:28:09 AMAlan,

Very interesting, looks pretty easy also.
I don't think I would do it though. But I do like the suspension, they seem to have a good sturdy construction for front coilovers.
The kits I see for that looks weak.

anlauto

Requires a lot of additional sheet metal work :thinking:

YellowThumper

Quote from: anlauto on March 10, 2024, 06:17:06 PMRequires a lot of additional sheet metal work :thinking:
Yes...
Somewhere awhile ago I read it also intruded into the car's floorboards.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.