Main Menu

front disc brake arrangement

Started by GoMangoBoys, June 20, 2020, 05:25:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We are changing our 70 Challenger to front disc brakes.  I got what I believe are 73 spindles.  We are trying to put it together and want to make sure we are not messing up.  I am putting the calipers toward the front.  I have seen it both ways in various places online, but I have believed that toward the front is correct.  When we put the first side together, it seems like the lower ball joint is further toward the back than the upper.  We don't have the lower control arm bolt totally tightened, and the strut rod is not tight yet.  I think when these are tightened, the lower control will move forward some, but I think it will not be enough.  See the attached pictures.

Bullitt-

Forward is correct... I mistakenly tried to put mine on backward based on a picture in the factory service manual... bleeder goes on top.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Front is correct , the spindle is centered so even if you swap sides the center of the spindle will be in the same place , you likely have the upper control arm adjusted incorrectly , the front aduster should be all the way outward & the rear should be all the way inward to swing the upper joint to the rear .

GoMangoBoys

Thanks.  I should have considered the upper control arm adjusters.  Makes sense.  Now we have to figure out which side is which on the caliper brackets.

Bullitt-

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on June 21, 2020, 06:53:45 AM
Thanks.  I should have considered the upper control arm adjusters.  Makes sense.  Now we have to figure out which side is which on the caliper brackets.

I've always heard this  " In the Mopar world, even numbers go on the right or passenger side, while odd numbers go on the left, or driver's side"
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

Mostly true , Mopar generally used even # parts on the right side & odd on the left but if the part is interchangable they use even on both sides .
The caliper brackets are reversable ,