Main Menu

Front Suspension Finish Guidelines

Started by headejm, January 09, 2017, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

I'm going to tackle rebuilding my original front suspension and wondered if there is a published guideline for the finishes on the various components?  :notsure:

anlauto

I can't see there being any "guidelines" for painting because 90% of the front suspension and steering was left in natural bare steel.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on January 10, 2017, 06:13:19 AM
I can't see there being any "guidelines" for painting because 90% of the front suspension and steering was left in natural bare steel.

Given that, unless you are going for a concurs car I would powder coat it.   :lookatthat:

Cuda Cody

Most is left unpainted, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.  If you want a daily driver or a fun weekend cruiser that will hold up a long time then Powder Coating is a great way to go.  Some people like to paint he parts to look somewhat like "unpainted" but still hold up well.  Other will go to extremes to use exact unpainted parts for concourse or judging reasons.  All techniques work.  But again, it goes back to what your final goal is.

Some of the easier colors or techniques to do are as follows:

• Lower Control Arms have a "dipped" in cosmoline look (kinda a yellowish brown gold)
  • Sway bar is Semi Gloss black
  • K Member is Semi Gloss Black
  • Upper "A" arm is natural
  • Disc Brake Dust Shields Semi Gloss black for 70-72 / 73 & 74 Galvanized (70 is a different design)
  • Shocks Semi Gloss Black

Resto Rick sells Cosmoline in a rattle can.  It takes several coats to get the right dipped look, but what I've done is paint the Lower Control Arms to a close match and then put 1 thin coat of Cosmoline on.  That dials in the color & sheen really good and if anyone touches it then it will feel just like Cosmoline.   :alan2cents:

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CosmoAero

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 10, 2017, 07:15:04 AM
Most is left unpainted, but it depends on what you are trying to achieve.  If you want a daily driver or a fun weekend cruiser that will hold up a long time then Powder Coating is a great way to go.  Some people like to paint he parts to look somewhat like "unpainted" but still hold up well.  Other will go to extremes to use exact unpainted parts for concourse or judging reasons.  All techniques work.  But again, it goes back to what your final goal is.

• Lower Control Arms have a "dipped" in cosmoline look (kinda a yellowish brown gold)
  • Disc Brake Dust Shields Semi Gloss black for 70-72 / 73 & 74 Galvanized (70 is a different design)

Resto Rick sells Cosmoline in a rattle can.  It takes several coats to get the right dipped look, but what I've done is paint the Lower Control Arms to a close match and then put 1 thin coat of Cosmoline on.  That dials in the color & sheen really good and if anyone touches it then it will feel just like Cosmoline.   :alan2cents:

Cosmoline, didnt know that and I have some in my shop. Again great info
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Hope these help....  :bigthumb:

anlauto

They look nice. I paint mine with Seymore's Stainless Steel Paint, then dip them is cosmoline  :alan2cents:

Everytime I post this picture someone points out how pitted the control arm is... :pullinghair: YES...I know
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

But it's original and that's cool!  Nice job on the Cosmoline.   :bravo:

Quote from: anlauto on January 10, 2017, 07:32:18 AM
They look nice. I paint mine with Seymore's Stainless Steel Paint, then dip them is cosmoline  :alan2cents:

Everytime I post this picture someone points out how pitted the control arm is... :pullinghair: YES...I know

headejm

@Cuda Cody That was exactly the information I was looking for. I'm not worried about judging, just want to keep it as original as possible. I knew there were various finishes, just wasn't sure. Thanks! :cheers:

Cuda Cody

Keep your eye open for inspector marks (color paint dabs) when taking things apart.  If you don't find any I can give you some tips on some things that normally got inspector dabs of paint.  Just post some photos as you go and someone will chime with with thoughts.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: headejm on January 10, 2017, 08:14:55 AM

@Cuda Cody That was exactly the information I was looking for. I'm not worried about judging, just want to keep it as original as possible. I knew there were various finishes, just wasn't sure. Thanks! :cheers:

headejm

I can definitely see 46 years of dirt and grease!  :rofl: