Started by Mopar5, June 07, 2019, 06:53:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Sweet looking dust shields. Details go along way

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 08, 2019, 07:45:19 PM
3.23, good for 150MPH. But yeah the drums were fine 80MPH and under. Where are you guys running over 100MPH on a highway these days?

Nevada, on 15 leaving Vegas & heading for Barstow... I didn't want to be doing that kinda speed but had little choice, everyone was flying.... I like cruising 75-80 but 95+ in seriously heavy traffic to be honest is terrifying, not worried about my abilities or my cars abilities... Worried about all the people around me in some POS with bald tires... Cause you know if one car goes he's taking us all with him....

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on June 08, 2019, 07:16:28 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 07, 2019, 10:46:54 AM
Quote from: anlauto on June 07, 2019, 08:42:54 AM
How often do we drive our restored cars at 80 mph+ ?
g in excess of 95 MPH, both lanes.. If you tried running @ 70 you'd get run over.... 
2.76 gears?
That's what I had in my car the only time I took it over 100.

OD is a wonderful thing, 95 is only 2600rpm in my car [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on June 08, 2019, 11:17:09 PM
OD is a wonderful thing, 95 is only 2600rpm in my car [emoji51]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be nice. I'm thinking of wider gears for my 833. The 440 should overcome the larger rpm drops?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

NO problem , high torque engine with flat power  curves work well with wide ratios transmissions .
If you make 400 ft lbs Tq at 2500 rpm & a peak of 460 ft lbs at 5200 rpm the engine will pull hard anywhere between

70 Challenger Lover

I put a tremec OD trans in my 64 Vette and it is wonderful for freeway cruising. Car has open side pipes and is a convertible so I was hoping for a way to control noise more than anything. With 3:73 gears, I'm around 2400 at 70. It's just right.

Tempting to do that kind of upgrade to my Mopars. If for no other reason, it allows you to get away with very low gears that would normally make a car undrivable for long distances.

jordan

3.23, good for 150MPH. But yeah the drums were fine 80MPH and under. Where are you guys running over 100MPH on a highway these days?

With enough horsepower and enough brake, it is very easy to do 100mph+ on rural roads around where I live.  It doesn't take long to accelerate to 100 from 50mph, and just a quick hard push on the brake pedal and you are back to legal.  Cruising at 100+ takes some serious concentration.   :stayinlane:
"Don't brake until you see God!"

340challconvert

Just thinking of my young and stupid days; my 1st Challenger RT, 383 automatic w drums all around. Bias ply F70 Goodyear's, car was all over the place and was downright dangerous in the rain, brakes would lock up, hit the highway divider and barely maintained control (smacked the quarter panel that night) Drove that car fast on every occasion. This was 1973 and this car was already in poor shape when I got it.  :stayinlane:
My next Challenger, a 440-6 automatic was crazy fast and had disc brakes. Big improvement in stopping, but it was nose heavy and would nose dive on heavy braking. (drove this car fast and hard too). Took this car over 80-100 mph many times.  The high horsepower of this car strained even the factory disc brakes.
Another Challenger was an RT SE 440 -4 with disc (by this time-late 70's) I always wanted disc.  Drove this one on RT 80 late at night w the speedo over 100! I blew the trans that night and had to nurse going home. (This was the car that eventually went to Sweden)

The lesson in all of this, I finally slowed down my driving, and really appreciate the 4 wheel disc brakes on a modern car. At the least, I would add front disc to a drum car and save the original parts. (Unless you never drive fast). I still road test everything I drive today, albeit a little slower.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Chryco Psycho

The downside with the original Ebodies is the brake did not match the HP , you could get there very quickly but slowing down not so much , definate improvement with the new series Challengers .
I would far rather have the brakes outperform the HP

kawahonda

Depends on the driving style too...

Honestly, I drive mine like an old man around curves and turns. I always maintain 4-5 seconds of stopping distance. I NEVER drive in traffic. If I "go fast", it's always straight line, wide open, no one around type thing. 

Some people actually NEED disk brakes with how they drive.

I cruised with Doug's 340 Cuda and had a blast. He has a mild hopped up motor with disk front brakes. Love the snarl. He kills me in the curves and in the power department. Part of it is because he simply has had his car for much longer and knows its limits, part of it is because he has some nicer equipment. I can "keep up" with him, but it feels like work and makes me feel like the '68 Mustang driver in Bullet.

I'd like to think of myself as a smart driver, so I simply just let him cruise way up ahead if he likes to. Safety is always #1.

Know your limits, and know the cars limits is always #1 above any "mod" you can do IMO.

btw, that's Doug's sweet car. @bentpshrods

I also cruised that day at 70 MPH in my challenger for the first time with 3.73s and 235/60/15 tires. I reckon about 3,500 RPM. Doable, but kinda.....high.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

76orangewagon

I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild on my 71 Cuda and I wanted to keep the car as original as possible looking but wanted better brakes so I went with a company called "Muscle Car Brakes" in Texas. They claim with all the tricks to their products your car will stop as well as disc brakes and wont fade over repeated use like stock drums.

Chryco Psycho

I agree with all of the above , know your car & limits , I can always make brakes last 40-50% longer than typical drivers do & I still love powerful brakes too  :twothumbsup: