Main Menu

Goodyear While Letter tires ?

Started by Racer57, March 18, 2024, 07:41:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Currently have BF P225/60R15 and P245/60R15

I'm due for new tires. I'm not going to put the damn BF brown letter tires back on because I'm tired of everyone asking why I don't clean them.

The only Goodyear RWL I can find is the good 'ol G60s, but biased.
1st... How much difference in feel for strictly cruising would I notice with biased versus radial ?
2nd... Is there any other Goodyear RWL that's radial ? I can't find them.

DeathProofCuda

1970 cuda Joe

Racer57. I run bias ply tire on all my muscle cars. They pick up smaller rocks than radials. The ride is different but I've got used to it. I have E70x15 custom wide tread GT on my 1968 Z/28 & F70x14 polyglas on my 1969 Camaro ss396. The poliglas ride better than the custom wide tread GT. Having an old school person align it for bias ply tires helps also. I just purchased E60-15 for my 1970 Cuda. I think they are poliglas GT. I expect the same ride. If you decide on Goodyear bias ply tires, contact Rusty Small at 816-654-3400. He has all the tires that are available from Kelsey Tire Company. He takes care of all the car people. He's always at MCACN. I'm pretty sure all of Kelsey's tires are made in Missouri.....Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

318Stroker

Quote from: Racer57 on March 18, 2024, 07:41:38 PMCurrently have BF P225/60R15 and P245/60R15

I'm due for new tires. I'm not going to put the damn BF brown letter tires back on because I'm tired of everyone asking why I don't clean them.

The only Goodyear RWL I can find is the good 'ol G60s, but biased.
1st... How much difference in feel for strictly cruising would I notice with biased versus radial ?
2nd... Is there any other Goodyear RWL that's radial ? I can't find them.

I was faced with the same dilemma when I needed new tires for my 73 Challenger. I was running Goodyear Eagle GT II RWL. They had 15,000 miles on them but they were 16 years old. That tire is no longer made. To my knowledge Goodyear no longer makes a RWL performance radial. And I guess you know that the Goodyear RWL Polyglas aren't made by Goodyear, just licensed by them.
I like the look of the T/A radials, but didn't want raised brown letter tires. I wound up getting Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. Great looking tire and I like them a lot.

JH27N0B

Kelsey Tires is in Missouri I think, but the repro Goodyear tires they sell are made by GoodYear, in their plants.  Might even be from the original molds?
I have a verity of tires on my vintage rides both bias ply and radial.  I am not a big fan of bias plies on vintage cars I drive much though I really like the look of the lettering on polyglas tires.  The bias ply tires really pull at lot when you are on asphalt roads with a lot of crowning, which is not uncommon in my area.  Even with power steering, it's two hands on the steering wheel fighting to keep the car tracking straight as the tires try to pull me off the road!
I drive my Challenger convertible the most often in cruising season.  It had Goodyear Eagle STs on it and they were getting really long in the tooth.  Kelsey came out with a radial version repro polyglas tire and I bought a set of those for the vert shortly after they finally got released.  I like them a lot.  Sadly they are only available in F70x14.  When they first were being released, word on the street was they were going to release a 60 series radial also, it was going to be G60 or maybe it was F60.  I haven't heard anything on that since, so maybe that plan got shelved. Purests whined that the shoulders on the radial polyglas are rounded not square like bias ply tire, and the tread pattern is different, but for me, with a car I love to drive and am not entering in shows for OE judging, I love my tires!
I really wish Goodyear would have kept Eagle STs on the market to compete against Radial T/As!

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JH27N0B

Quote from: dodj on March 19, 2024, 07:17:06 AMhttps://www.cokertire.com/tires/goodyear-eagle-gt-owl-255-60r15.html

Ain't cheap....
Thats the other thing with these repro tires, they are getting super expensive. Spend $2000+ for 4 tires and still need to pay someone to mount and balance them afterwards.
My Magnum GT looks great with its Goodyear 60 series Eagle GTII tires but they have to be getting pretty old, I don't think Eagle GTIIs have been on the market for 20 years maybe?  Those repro OWLs would be nice but a new set of those tires would cost over 10% of what the cars current value is!  :bigmoney:

JH27N0B

hmm, are Eagle GTIIs with white letter tires still available?? I better go check the datecodes of the Magnums tires, if they're old I will be in the market for a set of new ones! https://www.sullivantire.com/tire/goodyear/eagle-gt-ii/27545r20/01380
Edit, Darnit looks like they are not available in 60 series.  Come on Goodyear, you could sell enough in 60 series to make it worth your while?  :pullinghair:

dodj

It's the reason I went to 17" wheels. I get the sentiment that it doesn't look quite 'classic musclecar', but I wanted some modern choice in rubber.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparCarGuy

1st answer: Bias-ply tires are the worst ride and miserable.
2nd answer: Yes, Kelsey does have a Goodyear GR70-15 Steel Belted Radial as well.
The $510 price tag before shipping is ridiculous though.

Alternative: The most economical solid white letter radials are the Cooper Cobras and the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. They both come in the common 15" sizes like P275/60R15 for the rear and P225/70R15 or P245/60R15 for the front.
The Mickeys are made by Cooper and were designed for original muscle car owners. The profile is flatter than most other radials and the prices are very reasonable at about $200 each for the P245/60R15.