Main Menu

Brake Pedal Linkage

Started by edison1970, September 10, 2019, 04:59:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

Are E-body and B-body the same? The reason I ask is my brake pedal sits considerably lower than the clutch pedal. I know it's supposed to but I feel it's more than it should be.

anlauto

No the rod that bolts to the pedal can be different lengths, depends on what car they are from.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Gary

E-bodies are longer.  And yes the brake pedal on a power brake stock setup,   is a lot lower. I can get you some measurements, rod length and pedal height, tomorrow if you want me to.

Marksmopar1

I read somewhere and I think it was a topic in these forums that the E body rods had an "E" stamped on them?
I recall something like this and remember checking mine, cant recall now if it had the stamp....I am going to look again.

I have the power disc 440 auto car, I can also check my set up as I have not re-installed it yet.
If it helps...

edison1970

I found the other one I have and it is different.  The length of the rod going to the pedal was about the same but the rest of it was different.  I  took the one I have in the car and cut it in the middle,  threaded it and put a long nut between the two. Now I can adjust the height of the pedal. If you do have the eye to eye length of the stock one would be mutch appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

Overall length is about 3 1/2 inches and roughly 2 1/2 center of holes.  I have a 69 GTX and 70 Cuda both with stock power front disc setups and on both of them the brake pedal sits about 3 inches below the clutch pedal.  We thought that looked goofy too. So when we were building the GTX we tried putting in the longer E-body rod. It looked better but when you stepped on the brake it bottomed out the booster before the pedal was half way down.  Since then have spent a lot of time at car shows looking at brake pedal heights.  On stock power setups the pedal is always low, but on aftermarket power setups the pedals seem even.

Marksmopar1

I was correct, there is an "E" on the 70 power brake rod / linkage.

I took a couple of pictures, hope this helps.
  This is from my 70 Challenger 440 auto Power disc brake car.

edison1970

Ok. I extended the rod and the pedals were about even. The brakes worked very good. Actually too good. They were too sensitive. Also it was awkward going from the gas pedal to the brake. Now I shorten the rod to be slightly longer than stock and  the brakes feel soft. I'm a little stumped.
Also, is the clutch pedal supposed to return all the way to the bumper stop? Mine snaps up with a thud when I release the clutch.