Main Menu

How to decide whether rear springs are sagging ?

Started by Racer57, April 15, 2021, 07:37:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I would like to raise the rear of my Cuda 1-2". Currently it is 25" from ground to fender lip at all corners. But if my springs are sagging and I get new 1-2" lift, then that might make the car higher than I prefer.  Is there a way to find out without removing the springs ?

Chryco Psycho

The factory springs tend to sit quite flat , not a lot of curve , you can always drop the nose a bit to give it a nice stance , I prefer cars that sit low the flat springs are harder to deflect in corners & the overall weight is lower aiding cornering .
Most Cudas do look better with the rear raised slightly & you springs are 50 years + old if original but I would not go 2" lift , what I have often done is just add 1 extra main leaf with the ends trimmed off to increase the spring rate & raise the rear slightly , you could try that instead of buying new springs  .

jimynick

And here I was going to say. load three hotties in the back seat and if the mufflers scratch going in or out of the A&W, then they've sagged. Oh well..... ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Montclaire

The old Mopar Performance springs were pretty flat but my 440+6/Hemi leafs from ESPO were not.  As far as measuring, you didn't mention tire size, if you are carrying a full size spare, etc.  It sounds like you are getting new springs either way so just take the old ones off and measure the arch (flip upside down on flat floor and measure the gap).  Call ESPO and tell them what you have and what you want and they'll hook you up.  Also make sure that your hangers aren't flipped.

RUNCHARGER

I have always done the same as Psycho and the results are a 1 to 1.5" increase in ride height, better ride and handling IMO.
Sheldon

70vert

Mancini (and maybe others) have a front spring hanger with 2 mounting positions. One hole is in the stock position and the other about about 1" to 1,5" higher, which will lower the rear height. But you can also factor that when you order new spring and if they turn out to raise it too much then use the upper hole to lower it (: This is my plan as I am in need of new springs but want my Challenger to still sit pretty low.

Good luck and report back, with pics!

70 Top Banana

I am with Chryco Psycho. Add an extra leaf and trim it

Racer57

I don't have access to another leaf without ordering one. If I'm going to do that, then I might as well order the full set.

Thanks for the suggestions !!

Chryco Psycho

Do you have a spring manufacturer or repair shop near by , they can sell you a blank leaf probably 60" long just trim to length .

76orangewagon

I took my OEM springs to a local spring shop and they disassembled them and re-arched the main spring to 6 1/2" which is what their    book said was correct, Cost was about $25.00 and the car sits at 26 1/4 to the bottom of the lip.

dodj

IMO, if you want 1-2 inches in increased height,  get the espo +1 springs.  Your handling will suffer,  but if you're not overly concerned about taking corners fast, go for it.
I've never seen an ebody with +2" espo that looked good.... personal preference
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70vert

What is your tire height? Just measured and mine sits right at 25", on Nitto 255/50R17 which has a 27.09" diameter. As mentioned in previous post my springs are old and I do think they have sagged, but I like the current ride look.

Quote from: 76orangewagon on April 18, 2021, 05:39:37 AM
I took my OEM springs to a local spring shop and they disassembled them and re-arched the main spring to 6 1/2" which is what their    book said was correct, Cost was about $25.00 and the car sits at 26 1/4 to the bottom of the lip.

76orangewagon

Quote from: 70vert on April 18, 2021, 07:20:37 AM
What is your tire height? Just measured and mine sits right at 25", on Nitto 255/50R17 which has a 27.09" diameter. As mentioned in previous post my springs are old and I do think they have sagged, but I like the current ride look.

Quote from: 76orangewagon on April 18, 2021, 05:39:37 AM

26.10"