Main Menu

Hydraulic Booster Feedback and Pics

Started by 303 Mopar, March 16, 2018, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Looking for feedback from anyone with a hydraulic booster set up compared to your previous set up.  Better braking, worth the cost? And any pics of your set up?

moparcar

I'm also interested in this. Previously it seemed this was the norm for any pro-touring modern brake set up but lately I've been seeing more and more standard vacuum boosters and manual brakes sized correctly for the modern disc brake set-ups. Especially with 3G Hemi swaps.

Chryco Psycho

If you have power steering Hydro boost is awesome & it works with any cam
you can snag used ones from Dodge Ram & or Astro vans in the wreckers

GoodysGotaCuda

Following, I wouldn't mind going this route at some point. Manual brakes aren't my favorite, though the pedal feel is stellar.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudakiller70

moparcar

Does anyone have any additional input to @303 Mopar question regarding hydroboost set ups? I'm interested in knowing the braking feel and action with a Hydroboost vs. standard vacuum assist. Does anyone have a comparison? I have driven modern hydraulic assist units in daily drivers but never in one of our muscle cars.

Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: MoparCar on April 16, 2018, 05:02:25 PM
Does anyone have any additional input to @303 Mopar question regarding hydroboost set ups? I'm interested in knowing the braking feel and action with a Hydroboost vs. standard vacuum assist. Does anyone have a comparison? I have driven modern hydraulic assist units in daily drivers but never in one of our muscle cars.

Thanks

I've only driven one muscle car with hydroboost. The braking effort was great, however the pedal feel was awful.

As much as I don't like the stroke of my current m/c bore setup, the pedal feel is stellar, I can threshold brake very well.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 16, 2018, 05:37:06 PM
Quote from: MoparCar on April 16, 2018, 05:02:25 PM

Thanks

I've only driven one muscle car with hydroboost. The braking effort was great, however the pedal feel was awful.

As much as I don't like the stroke of my current m/c bore setup, the pedal feel is stellar, I can threshold brake very well.

Interesting..... :thinking:

Bullitt-

My 98 GT is factory hydroboost.  I can't say it's superior but works at least as well as any vacuum boost I've had ... 
What do the new Challengers use? They seem to be plenty effective. 

Look at this tiny thing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Dodge-Challenger-Brake-Master-Cylinder-W-booster-04581645AB-5246/253531051406?fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AChallenger&epid=11017394393&hash=item3b07a0d58e:g:B2cAAOSw6WNavwu0
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

MY Ram has hydro boost but that is a different beast

moparcar

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 16, 2018, 08:15:25 PM
My 98 GT is factory hydroboost.  I can't say it's superior but works at least as well as any vacuum boost I've had ... 
What do the new Challengers use? They seem to be plenty effective. 

Look at this tiny thing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Dodge-Challenger-Brake-Master-Cylinder-W-booster-04581645AB-5246/253531051406?fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AChallenger&epid=11017394393&hash=item3b07a0d58e:g:B2cAAOSw6WNavwu0

First off @303 Mopar I really hope you don't think I'm jacking your thread....  :) I just have the same thoughts and questions regarding the hydra boost trying to decide if I want to go that route (with the expensive of the unit, remote PS can, hoses, etc.) or look at other options and your thread seems to be a good place to keep it all under one topic!

What's everyone thoughts about the new Challenger vacuum booster/master combo posted in the line above by @Bullitt-  ? I'm going to be running a 6.1 Hemi and it would seem this may work nice if not too radical of an engine build? Is that a double chamber master and reservoir? Looking at RockAuto you can get this whole set-up new for around $200 or less. Even cheaper several places on e-bay. Running 4-wheel disks it would be similar to a new SRT Challenger and the stock master cylinder bore is a little over 1" per the RockAuto specs for a SRT unit.

Just thinking  :thinking:
Thanks, Wes

Chryco Psycho

We did the Hydro boost swap on 73 E Challenger & it worked very well , but I barely drove the car , he has since sold the car & I don't believe he ever joined the site here , you might be able to reach him through C-C , I know his car stopped very well , he scavenged a lot of parts from the wrecker to keep costs down over buying new .

jordan

I have a HydroTech booster in my Cuda.  I absolutely love it!!  The brakes are perfect.  Not touchy.  Not dead or wooden feeling.  Just progressive with a lot of feel.  I can tell when my tires are about to lock up.  The harder I push, the faster I stop.  It is exactly like a modern system feels like in a newer performance car.  Installation was straight forward.  No issues so far.  I highly recommend this mod if you have the $$. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

303 Mopar

Quote from: jordan on April 23, 2018, 08:05:54 PM
I have a HydroTech booster in my Cuda.  I absolutely love it!!  The brakes are perfect.  Not touchy.  Not dead or wooden feeling.  Just progressive with a lot of feel.  I can tell when my tires are about to lock up.  The harder I push, the faster I stop.  It is exactly like a modern system feels like in a newer performance car.  Installation was straight forward.  No issues so far.  I highly recommend this mod if you have the $$.

Did you have power or manual brakes before?  Do you just have front discs?