Main Menu

Hydro Boost Project

Started by Cudajason, December 31, 2021, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: MoparLeo on January 01, 2022, 12:37:45 AM
I posted the link on hydroboost kits because it has some of the dimensions, measurements listed. 
Click through the link. More info there.

Ok thanks man, I will have look.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on December 31, 2021, 07:23:12 PM
Quote from: Cudajason on December 31, 2021, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on December 31, 2021, 09:53:21 AM
I started this years ago but never finished it. I too used a hyroboost unit off a Astro van , and they are not " plentiful" as most were automatics. Actually I got it for the 86 regal I had at the time, its been that long now... 12-15 years... :-[
I did pull it all out again to adapt it to the Challenger but never went any further. I'll get back to it someday. M/C is 1.250" diameter
I think I got the M/C from Cass and had to slot it some to mount to the hydo boost unit.

Thanks @Brads70 i thought about just filing the holes out, but nit sure it was a good idea. Maybe I will give it a shot, nothing to lose at this point.

I see you were planning on a thick block to space out the hydro boost unit. I assume that is to mate the HB pushrod?  Have you taken any measurement for that?

Ya I can't remember right at the moment, it was quite some time ago I started on it. I did obtain the parts from the pedal to what would be a stock booster. Its not the same as the manual brake set up. Its " somewhere in my garage " I'll take a picture if I can find it....

Looks like the first picture in this post....

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/power-brake-linkage/12281/

Brewers has them if you need one?
http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=279

Thanks man, that is the linkage I have.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: greentween on January 01, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
I put up some video's on youtube about my install.
Mopar AL master to hydroboost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYGdaZdTHA

FYI: If you make your own kit, then you need to also make a tool to tighten the goofy sized mounting nut on the hydro unit itself. Advantage with a kit is the kit will have the hydro unit already bolted onto the adapter plate so you dont need the tool.

The kit I used mounts it where the power booster goes. So it uses the power brake linkage to the pedal. End result is hydo unit it will be higher up and also pushed forward vs when mounted in the manual master location. Keep this in mind when watching my videos.

If you mount it where the manual master bolts on, then it connects direct to the pedal. I believe this is how the Hydratech kit is by looking at their pictures of their firewall adapter bracket.

Thanks man, I will have a watch.

I found a socket for the hydroboost nut...waiting on it to arrive to pull it apart. Not cheap, but what are you going to do!

My plan is to sue the power linkage. So we will see how that goes.

Cudajason

Got some much needed time in the garage today.

I have been picking away at this project with a little bit here and there. I mocked up the hydroboost unit a while ago, but it needs to be pushed out further, so I have been looking at how to do that.

Using some of @greentween videos I started mocking up my mount.

I used the GM mounting bracket because it had the anti rotation tabs.  Welded the up to some round tube. I used the large hydro boost nut socket to centre everything up.

Next I plan to weld the tube to the stock PB booster plate. I like the look of mixing the stock parts with the custom parts.

Now I am not the best welder, so it ain't that pretty, but I think it will get the job done. I was thinking of grinding the welds down, but not sure.

More to come next week.

Cudajason

Got some more time this week.

Tacked up the mount and bolted it up, looks like my plan will work.

The MC looks like it will be level, maybe pointing a little down. 

Next weld up the mount solid. Thread the pushrod and bolt it all together for final mock up. Pill it apart for paint.

Then I have to order the MC and run all the lines.

Cudajason

Welp...that did not go as planed.

Time grind grind grind and then reweld.

jimynick

The welds look cold Jason, try turning up the power first and watch closely. You should be able to see the weld puddle wash up and into the two components and then it's wire speed and technique. A couple of stout whiskys might calm the hands?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on March 03, 2022, 08:13:35 PM
The welds look cold Jason, try turning up the power first and watch closely. You should be able to see the weld puddle wash up and into the two components and then it's wire speed and technique. A couple of stout whiskys might calm the hands?  :cheers:

Thanks @jimynick

I thought I had the power too hjigh...I blew through the metal in one spot.  I wonder if it was just too cold out at the time.

I will try again!

Filthy Filbert

Kinda looks like too much voltage, not enough wire feed.   the wire is 'popping' and rapidly melting away faster than the wire feed can push new wire to create a nice weld puddle.    either turn wire feed up, but if that's too hot and burns through, then try turning the voltage down.

Hard to tell for sure from just a picture, but that's where I would start.    --also make sure everything is super clean and well grounded.   a poor electrical circuit from dirt, oils, paint, or poorly grounded can also result in popping and sputtering like that.

Cudajason

Well got the mount fabbed and installed the unit.

I have it attached to the brake pedal.  I will get some pics of that latter, when I blow it apart.

I am using the factory power brake linkage. 

I got a bunch of parts in and have been fabbing up the hoses. I am using PTFE hoses due to the pressure. Not thrilled with the PTFE, its a little stiff, but it will work.  Of course I did not get the tight fittings, so more parts on order

Still a lot of work to do, but progress is progress!

jimynick

Comin' along Jas, comin' along!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Are those fittings and hose rated for 2-3000 psi?

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on March 19, 2022, 11:28:24 AM
Are those fittings and hose rated for 2-3000 psi?

Yes sir!  Thats why I am using them as opposed to regular AN hose and hose ends.

Cudajason

Got some of my favorite tools out today and bent up some brake lines from the MC the adjustable proportioning valve. I also made a template to mount the adj valve. I will fab that after the i get the hoses etc mocked up.

dodj

Another interesting cudajas thread to follow.  :bigthumb:
Is the spacer you added just to make up for the missing vacuum booster?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill