Main Menu

Hydro Boost Project

Started by Cudajason, December 31, 2021, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Time to get testing going. I assume you will go slow to make sure you have brake. May be Jack the rear up on stands to try first. I remember the nervousness when I first tried my hydroboost after install. Btw, I got the same master cylinder except I went with the white reservoir so that I can see the fluid level.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cudajason

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 20, 2022, 05:29:53 PM
Time to get testing going. I assume you will go slow to make sure you have brake. May be Jack the rear up on stands to try first. I remember the nervousness when I first tried my hydroboost after install. Btw, I got the same master cylinder except I went with the white reservoir so that I can see the fluid level.

Oh yeah, it is up on stands now, so I will check everything while it is up in the air.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Northcuda

Congratulations on your installation Cudajason.
I used a GM Hydroboost on my Barracuda.
Currently it is not connected to the steering pump and I am wondering about using a modern electric steering pump?
A Barracuda 70 that wants to be as big as a Cuda Trans am.

Cudajason

Sigh....seems like forver since I made any real progress. 

I have been picking away at this project though.

The need to replace the rear wheel studs and the the trouble getting the rear drum off has slowed things down.  Then needed to do the rear brakes.

Got that all taken care off and even goth the drums turned today....a hard service to find in these parts.

Now I am off on a business trip until Friday, so Saturday I hope to get it all back together, bleed the brakes one more time and see if the brakes actually work.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on July 11, 2022, 08:05:53 PM
Sigh....seems like forver since I made any real progress. 

I have been picking away at this project though.

The need to replace the rear wheel studs and the the trouble getting the rear drum off has slowed things down.  Then needed to do the rear brakes.

Got that all taken care off and even goth the drums turned today....a hard service to find in these parts.

Now I am off on a business trip until Friday, so Saturday I hope to get it all back together, bleed the brakes one more time and see if the brakes actually work.
Still progress though.
Good luck for the weekend progress.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Sigh...again.

I got back from a 4 day business trip to Halifax on friday the 15th and got the drums cleaned up a bit and back on on the Saturday. Pressure bleed the brakes, no leaks. Fired it up really quick and no leaks under pressure. Looks like the brakes work, but the peddle is slow to return.

Decided to chase the threads on my lugs, look at the crap and metal that came out of them.

I started to feel kinda rough on Saturday, Sunday I tested positive for covid and have been down all week. Never been so sick in my life. Its ran through the whole family.

Today is the first day I had any energy, and not much of it, so put the rear wheels back on. Now I am whipped.

Later the week I hope to test everything out a little more while it's up on stands. Getting closer to the first spin.

70vert

Bummer, COVID residual can last a while. Hope for a full recovery for you and the family!

Bullitt-

Sorry your ailing Jason... I searched what might be the issue with the brake pedal not returning.

This response makes sense
" Air still in the system. Drive it longer and turn the wheels lock to lock a few more times to help dislodge air.

According to Norval, this may also happen to you all over again if you were to store it for several months -like winter. A few miles and its back to normal."
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cudajason

Quote from: 70vert on July 24, 2022, 12:02:11 PM
Bummer, COVID residual can last a while. Hope for a full recovery for you and the family!

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Hoping we will all be back to 100% soon.

Quote from: Bullitt- on July 24, 2022, 02:16:57 PM
  Sorry your ailing Jason... I searched what might be the issue with the brake pedal not returning.

This response makes sense
" Air still in the system. Drive it longer and turn the wheels lock to lock a few more times to help dislodge air.

According to Norval, this may also happen to you all over again if you were to store it for several months -like winter. A few miles and its back to normal."

Thanks @Bullitt- i appreciate you looking into that.

That would make sense. I have been bleeding the system based on some instructions I found online.  Initially it made a huge difference.  I will keep at it and see if it helps more.

Jason

YellowThumper

Sorry you are ailing, Glad you are on the amends.
I had it (probably) when it was first hitting the US. Worst "cold" that had ever hit me in my life.
Took months for lungs to be normal again. Be cognitive of that and take care and pace yourself.

With that said, Hope you get it out soon for the real test.

Mike.

dodj

As far as taking a long time....If it makes you feel any better.....I just got the heater box back in my car a couple days ago after taking it out in, I think March. To start I originally waited until the new heater core ordered in Feb showed up before I removed the box. When it showed, I removed the box. Then the new core was bad. They couldn't get another so refunded my $$. Took a while for me to source another. It didn't show until June 23rd...the day before we left for a three week camping trip. The car will be on it's first excursion outside the garage this week.....ya, sometimes even small projects can take a long time with these cars.
Glad you are close to the finish line!!

Up here at the western end of the province, all of my family and friends that contracted covid only reported feeling tired for two/three days, with one of those days feeling like a cold with a headache/sore throat. But feeling back to normal quickly. Hopefully yours is similar.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Take care Jason, we all will be exposed at some point.

Dakota

Sorry to hear you're under the weather Jason.

My wife and, later, her mom caught the current version of Covid rolling around the northeast.   They both had flu-like symptoms for about 3 days, then spent another 6+ days overcoming extreme exhaustion.  Hopefully your path for recovery will be shorter, but don't be surprised if it isn't.

Cudajason

Thanks for al the well wishes folks!  I really appreciate that.

I fired up the old beast yesterday and tred to bleed the system, not the results I was looking for.

The pedal just doe not feel right, and braking power is not very good.  I put it in drive and it took all it had to stop the rear wheels from turning.

I spent some time today researching the issue and I am fairly certain the issue is the T in the return line back feeding pressure.

So I am going to drop the power steering pump and add a separate return line for the hydroboost.

I also think that I may take out the spacers that are reducing the pump pressure, just to make sure that is not causing an issue.

:wrenching:

YellowThumper

Bummer to hear.
I have a T in mine and have had no issues with it over the years.
Simple brass T painted black.

Mike.