Main Menu

Hydro Boost Project

Started by Cudajason, December 31, 2021, 07:48:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I suspect your bore in the M/C is not correct for hydro boost? See my reply #2 post on page one. When I was researching/gathering parts Cass (DR Diff ) said I needed a 1 .250 M/C to use with HB
But I have no first hand experience  either so...?

Maybe use the rockauto catalogue to find out the bore size on various vehicles that use HB set ups? 

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 02, 2022, 07:06:06 PM
Bummer to hear.
I have a T in mine and have had no issues with it over the years.
Simple brass T painted black.

What size bore in the M/C are you using? @YellowThumper

YellowThumper

Quote from: Brads70 on August 02, 2022, 07:16:24 PM
Bummer to hear.

Not exactly sure. 7/8 or 15/16 at the most.
Full hydro and mc setup is 2000ish Mustang.
All my brakes remain factory so larger is not necessary.
1" and up are only necessary with upgraded multi piston calipers that require more fluid movement.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 02, 2022, 07:27:21 PM
Bummer to hear.

1" and up are only necessary with upgraded multi piston calipers that require more fluid movement.

Makes sense, I have Viper Brembo's so that must be why Cass said to use 1.250"

Never mind Jason ignore my post LOL

Bullitt-

Just a thought as I had issues getting my stock system to work correctly after a complete overhaul and knowing you have worked on the rear brakes.
  On both my '73 after rebuilding the front disks & rear drums and another member's '70 who had recently paid for a complete brake job the pedal would go to the floor with the engine running, but seemed normal with engine off. (He had just driven 300+ miles when his problem appeared) I had discovered that my rear drum adjusters were not engaging and sure enough when I checked his weren't either. Correcting this & getting the rears adjusted properly solved both cars issue...

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

YellowThumper

Quote from: Brads70 on August 02, 2022, 07:30:49 PM
Quote from: YellowThumper on August 02, 2022, 07:27:21 PM
Bummer to hear.

Makes sense, I have Viper Brembo's so that must be why Cass said to use 1.250"

Never mind Jason ignore my post LOL
Yep have to compensate for the volume used. Normal 7/8-15/16 that pedal will be rock hard.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on August 02, 2022, 07:12:21 PM
I suspect your bore in the M/C is not correct for hydro boost? See my reply #2 post on page one. When I was researching/gathering parts Cass (DR Diff ) said I needed a 1 .250 M/C to use with HB
But I have no first hand experience  either so...?

Maybe use the rockauto catalogue to find out the bore size on various vehicles that use HB set ups?

First off a huge thanks to @RJChallenger for giving me some extra power steering pumps. Definitely one of the good guys!

I installed a rebuilt pump last night, and much the same issues today.

@Brads70 I think you are onto something.  The MC i have on it I have had for years and I am not sure what the bore size is.

I sent and email to Wilwood and they suggest a 1 1/8th bore MC for Hydroboost.  I think I am going to order one and see if that is the issue.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

:Thud: :Thud: :Thud: :Thud:

sigh, nothing is easy on this project.

Got a new Wilwood MC...nice looking unit!  That sounded like a simple install, bench bleed, 2 bolts and 2 break lines, bleed the system.

reading though the instructions, and it says you hook the front brakes up to the larger of the two reservoirs.  On the Wilwood that is the front reservoir.  Well factory Mopar MCs the back reservoir is the larger and hooked to the front brakes.  I am running a newer aluminum Mopar MC and have the brake lines run that way as per the FSM.

So now I need to redo my brake lines from the MC to the adjustable prop valve.  Is it hard, no, but its just another thing that takes more time.

Well I have Friday off, so guess what I am doing.

To make things worse, my son reminded me that the first day of school is fast approaching nd as per our tradition, he would like me to take him to school the first day in the Cuda.  So not a lot of time if this does not work. :wrenching:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Good luck. You deserve some now for sure.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

You'll get it. One thing about it, the projects that test you give the most satisfaction. I (unfortunately sometimes) never give up on anything I do, I attribute that to working on cars all my life. I often thought "I'm gonna sell this POS after I get it back together" but I never gave up.
Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 25, 2022, 03:03:52 PM
You'll get it. One thing about it, the projects that test you give the most satisfaction. I (unfortunately sometimes) never give up on anything I do, I attribute that to working on cars all my life. I often thought "I'm gonna sell this POS after I get it back together" but I never gave up.

Yeah Inknownit will all be worthbit when I am done, and I typicaly enjoy the time iget to workmon the car, but this project is really testing me.

Here is todays test, new wilwood MC, already to be bench bleed, and I notice the screw hole is complelty buggered up...pic below.  :verymad:  so now I am working on getting a replacement!!!

On the bright side, I think i discovered my issue. Looking at the old MC I did not realize there was a significant recess in the MC plunger. So it would appear that the HB pushrod was was not making contact with the MC until the very end of its stroke. Not sure how i missed that!!!
The wilwood mc has the same recess but comes with a spacer to fill the gap. Of course that spacer was too long, so i spent a bit of time filing that down to fit.

I think i have that part worked out wit a little bit of a gap so the HB push rod is not engaging the brake with out pressure on the pedal.

One of my brake lines fit now I just have to bend up a new line for the front.

cha74ngr

I just signed up to this forum. I have hydroboost off 2000 dodge ram 3500. I had it for 5 years problem free.

cha74ngr

cha74ngr

I swapped out the factory federal pump to higher pressure Saginaw pump. The federal pump lasted a year with the hydroboost. The federal pump was rebuilt and leaked puddles.

Cudajason

Almost there!!!

Got the new Wilwood MC installed on Friday and dropped her off from the jack stands for the fist time in far too long.

Took her for a little spin around the block and it runs and stops!!!!

Got her all cleaned up over the weekend. I went for little linger spin today, line 10 mins max, and lit looks like the front brakes are dragging and the pedal is not returning all the way. She goes just fine and will spin the tires at 1/4 throttle from a light, but then will stop it self without touch the brakes.

So I wonder if i dod not get the space in the mc short enough.

I but a couple of washers in between the MC and HB to space it out a bit and see of that works.

Test drive tomorrow with the little man for the first day of school.