Main Menu

My rear-end stance...what is it?

Started by kawahonda, July 25, 2018, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

My A66 has helper springs on the leafs. They've gotta come off before putting on new wheels/tires.

I'm trying to find out what Espo or Eaton springs to order. +0 or +1. Maybe they make a half size, like +1/2"?

My new tires are the same diameter as the current ones, so the height won't change.

How do I figure out what spring height is for me without having to "guess"? I actually think as of right now with the helper springs that I am pretty close to "ideal" for the rear end. I don't like an overly raked look, but I don't like a "slump butt" look either. For me, as long as the top of the tire is covered, that's what I'm after.

I've seen pictures of +1s that I've liked. I've also seen pictures of +1s that I thought were too raked. I have never seen a +1.5 or +2 that I liked.

So how should I go about this to where I can be confident of what springs to order?

If I take off the helper springs, the car will undoubtfully drop a little bit. How much is TBD. But then how do I know if that's +0 or -1?

Here's some pics of the current stance on F70 14's (235/60/15s are going on soon, which is the same height I believe).
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

kawahonda

Here's a better pic.

Some info, there is 10 gallons in the tank, and the spare tire assembly is back there.

dave73

What look do you want? I had espo +1.5, pretty good rake but I also have a 275/60/15 rear tire.

kawahonda

To be honest, I like the current stance. The top .5"ish of the F70 (235/60 equiv) is covered. If there's a gap above the tire to the lip, then it's too much for me.

Hope that helps...

I just don't know what this setup with original A66 springs and helper springs equate to in the new replacement world....

Brads70

I'd say plus 1.5"

Here is an old picture of mine with plus 1" new springs from ESPO . Remember new springs will sag/settle some after a few months.
255/60/15 rear tire

kawahonda

Thanks for the pic, Brad! That's a little too raked for me (unless you have larger rear tires that is adding "more").....I like the tires to at least look "a little" stuffed in the fender wells.

Enjoy the pics guys!

+1 seems like it "might" be the ticket. I just hope if I think it's a little too high than it will settle in some.

kawahonda

Here are stances that I like/want.

blown motor

I also had helper springs and here's what I did. I took the helpers off and measured from the ground up to the top of the fender lip. Then I put a piece of wood under the bumper brackets or frame rails (not quite sure which it was) and jacked the car up to where I wanted it and measured again. Then I removed the springs, took them to a spring shop and had them re-arched to add the required difference.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

kawahonda

Blown motor...sound logic is not what this thread needs. LOL!

Awesome, thank you. I'm looking for a method, and you nailed it. I have a few questions about re-arching springs. Here's what I've read.

1) The cost to re-arch springs is roughly the same cost of getting new ones. True or Myth?

2) I've read some (not ebodies) that have experience paying MORE to re-arch springs because after a few weeks/months they sag right back down again and eventually new springs were still needed. True or Myth?

3) Does re-arching my original springs create more value to my A66 car vs new Eaton/Espo springs? Or are springs considered more or less a "consumable" (like shocks, tires, brakes, etc) in which it makes zero difference to the value?

4) Is there any performance difference with re-arched original 4-leaf springs vs 5-leaf Eaton/Espo springs? My ultimate goal is a stock-sleeper mid 13 second car.

Thanks!

blown motor

1) It cost me $290 Cdn plus tax. This included new bushings and hardware. I don't know what new springs cost.

2) I did mine 2 1/2 years ago. If it has sagged it is very little. I seem to recall he said he added a leaf to prevent sagging. I now have five leaves but the bottom one is much shorter than the others.

3) I think the effect on value would depend on the buyer. If you don't plan on selling it then what difference would it make?

4) I don't know.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Burdar

Post a picture of your "helper" springs.  Why do you want to replace your existing setup?  Is it riding too harsh?  The most cost effecting way to raise the back end is to just install another main leaf in the spring pack. 

Katfish

I wouldn't go above +1.  I ordered ESPO +1 and had to drop the front hanger bolt to lower it.
I don't like to see any light between the tire and panel.
My springs haven't settled and it's been 4 yrs.

kawahonda

Katfish, yep, I find your look good. Yep, going above +1 is completely out of the picture. Wouldn't want any more than what you have...just the right amount.

Burdar, I will take a picture of my helpers. They HAVE to come off before Wheels/Tires because the tire would make contact with the helper hardware.

That's another option is to bring it down to a shop and have them throw on another link and keep it the same height that it's at now...which I "THINK" is about +1....

303 Mopar

+1" seems to be a popular choice.  Not too high but not saggy, just right!