Main Menu

Power steering unit - fix or replace?

Started by purple1, May 17, 2017, 04:59:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

purple1

My power steering is leaking bad.  :angry: After I got a new pump and hoses kit, my power steering unit is now leaking out of the input shaft real bad. I have tried the stop leak crap and nothing worked. I'm asking should I just fix it, or replace it with a rebuilt unit? Maybe an upgraded unit is in order here? Also remember I tow a trailer and have to back it up sometimes. I want to get some opinions on the upgrades that are available. How do they feel when compared to the original power units?

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

303 Mopar

I would send it to Firm Feel in exchange for one of their Stage III units.  So much better and seems like the perfect time!   :stayinlane:

JS29

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 17, 2017, 05:25:42 AM
I would send it to Firm Feel in exchange for one of their Stage III units.  So much better and seems like the perfect time!   :stayinlane:
:iagree:

Cuda Cody

Dick Ross who owns Firm Feel was just at my house yesterday.  They are right down the road from me about 10 miles so let me know if I can help in any way.  I've had them do a few of my steering boxes and they do great work.   :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

It depends if the unit is worn or not. It is relatively easy to change the seal, you have to pull the steering column back a few inches though. Then you reach in with a pick, pull the old seal out and carefully drive a new one in.
Sheldon

purple1

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 17, 2017, 08:32:33 AM
It depends if the unit is worn or not. It is relatively easy to change the seal, you have to pull the steering column back a few inches though. Then you reach in with a pick, pull the old seal out and carefully drive a new one in.

This looks like the original unit, so I like the idea of the Firm Feel unit. Now the question is what one, stage 1,2 or 3? Any feedback on the different levels?

I have an old unit to use as a core so I don't have to take the one out of the car to send a core. I just need to borrow a puller to remove the pitman arm and I am good to go. I know my buddy has one in his shop someplace.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Stage 3 and there are big and small Pitman shafts.
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 17, 2017, 07:33:43 AM
Dick Ross who owns Firm Feel was just at my house yesterday.  They are right down the road from me about 10 miles so let me know if I can help in any way.  I've had them do a few of my steering boxes and they do great work.   :twothumbsup:

He is a great asset to the Mopar community! I've spent some time on the phone and numerous emails about my C-Body spindle set up. He is a smart cookie, a whole lot deeper than just steering boxes! He is an ex racer that actually built his own stuff! I always admire people that think outside of the box!  :bradsthumb: