Main Menu

QA1 K Member Install

Started by Shane Kelley, May 11, 2018, 07:58:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

My motor always leaned to the passenger side just a little. I suspected my K Member was possibly tweaked from being wrecked. I was already tired of the manual steering. Real hassle in parking lots and just to sloppy for my taste. So I decided to go with the new Borgeson quick ratio power steering conversion and swap out the K member and LCA's while I was at it. Going with the Pro Forged T/A idler and pitman arm also. I have to say I'm really impressed with the QA1 stuff. Well built and fit was excellent. One big bonus I hadn't thought about was how much more room I have under the motor. The oil pan can literally come straight down with nothing in the way. I have the column modified but not installed yet. Everything else is buttoned up. Pics are before installing the pump and hoses. Will post some final pics once everything is complete. Really love how it all looks.

ledphoot

That looks sweet, can't wait to hear if it made much difference in the handling. Looks like you already had the Hotchkiss setup on your ride.

I went with the full QA1 setup and ridetech shocks for the front. Not sure what I am going to do in the back yet, maybe Hotchkiss leafs, maybe some kind of composite leaf...

Thanks for the pics, I will be bolting mine in soon :)

moparcar

That looks great! I love the matching color to the Hotchkis items? Did you re-powdercoat it or just spray it? Do you recall the color to match the Hotchkis gold?

Thanks-Wes

Archialfa

Do you have front sway bars? I am thinking of getting QA1 k member, but I think I've read somewhere that it's not compatible with Hotchkis sway bar. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plum Crazy 1970 Challenger 440 Magnum

Chryco Psycho

ledphoot

Quote from: Archialfa on May 12, 2018, 10:15:47 AM
Do you have front sway bars? I am thinking of getting QA1 k member, but I think I've read somewhere that it's not compatible with Hotchkis sway bar. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but that looks like the Hotchkiss Swaybar attached to the QA1 K-Member in his photos... Looks like he had the Hotchkiss setup prior to the QA1 K-Member / Lower Control Arms...

I purchased the complete QA1 setup minus their shocks, Ridetech Shocks, Borgenson steering box, new tie rods / idler arm and 1.14 Torsion Bars to address the 45 year old suspension in the Cuda. Hoping the QA1 sway bar is comparable to Hotchkiss' bar.

Shane Kelley

Just like ledphoot said. I had the Hotchkis stuff prior to installing the QA1 K member and LCA's. No issues what so ever. Everything bolted up and mated just fine.

GoodysGotaCuda

It all looks very nice.

I know the Hotchkis UCAs are intended to correct some bump steer on a factory design, given you have gone away from that, you may want to measure bump steer and see if you've induced any. :alan2cents:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

71-440

That's a really nice setup! :stayinlane:

Can't wait to hear how much of a difference it makes.
Joe

Cuda70-74

Nice set up I also got the same K member
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

moparcar

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 12, 2018, 05:48:44 PM
It all looks very nice.

I know the Hotchkis UCAs are intended to correct some bump steer on a factory design, given you have gone away from that, you may want to measure bump steer and see if you've induced any. :alan2cents:

@GoodysGotaCuda Since it's just the K and LCAs where would the change in bump steer occur from stock? I'm assuming the geometry/pivot points, etc. with the QA1 K and LCAs are the same as factory as they don't mention any geometry change or correction in their description? If you know a difference I'd love to know since this is the exact direction I'm planning on going also. I always appreciate your knowledge (and you are correct if they changed something)!

Wes

HP2

Hotchkis upper control arms are marketed as "geometry correcting".  From their site the exact quote is "specifically designed to correct the excessive caster gain and create the proper negative camber curve this kit features a Hotchkis exclusive Laser Cut Pick Up Point Relocation Bracket and TIG-welded Light Weight A-Arms which are fully gusseted for strength and feature High Articulation Rod Ends for maximum adjustability. "

They also sell an adjustable tie rod kits, which they call steering rod kits, which are designed to work in concert with their upper arms to  provide  overall geometric improvements. The quote from this part states "Benefits: Corrects Bump Steer in Conjunction with Upper A-Arm. "  If you look at the mounting point of the  tie rod ends, there is a spacer incorporated into the outer end, which lowers the pivot point of that end, a primary contributor to  the bump steer issue.

The QA1 k-frame and lower control arms primary design consideration was  to improve rigidity over stock. After that were loss of weight. No geometric improves were necessary, although, depending on where the located everything, they could have built a couple of degrees of caster into them, but I've never seen any mention of them doing this.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: MoparCar on May 13, 2018, 06:50:12 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 12, 2018, 05:48:44 PM
It all looks very nice.

@GoodysGotaCuda Since it's just the K and LCAs where would the change in bump steer occur from stock? I'm assuming the geometry/pivot points, etc. with the QA1 K and LCAs are the same as factory as they don't mention any geometry change or correction in their description? If you know a difference I'd love to know since this is the exact direction I'm planning on going also. I always appreciate your knowledge (and you are correct if they changed something)!

Wes
I assumed the same thing. Doesn't mean I'm right. I figured it as a direct replacement.

Shane Kelley

Got the pump, lines and steering coupler installed from the Borgeson set up. I did powder coat the bracket. Haven't driven the car yet other than down the driveway. But I can tell you I love that power steering after having manual on the car. You will notice the bracket for the pump is completely different from the factory style. At first look I thought it wouldn't be sturdy enough with just one bracket on the rear of the pump. But it's solid as a rock! No movement or flexing at all.

Fist impressions on how the steering feels and responds are excellent.

moparcar

@Shane Kelley Everything looks great! Did you powdercoat or scuff and spray the QA1 K and LCAs to match the Hotchkis color? Color?

Thanks, Wes