Main Menu

Rear brake size

Started by blown motor, December 26, 2023, 06:37:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Were the rear drum brakes on a 74 Challenger Rallye 10" or 11"?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

mtull

I found the following info
I'm not sure how complete the article is but hopefully it will at least get you pointed in the right direction.

blown motor

Great article!! Thanks for posting that.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1973Cuda

My understanding was 10 inch rear drums with front discs and 11 inch all around otherwise.

MoparLeo

73-74 Challenger. Nothing optional on the brakes. All Disc/drum. 7 1/4" and 8 3/4" diffs only. No Dana's etc..
If you don't have one, it should be mandatory for any car enthusiast. Factory Servie Manual.
 Like the Led Zep song Kashmir says " All will be revealed "
 Most questions on all car sites are answered in the FSM's.
 Brakes are always in section #5 in any year Mopar FSM. Specifications are found at the end of the sections.
 This is your cars Encyclopedia. It also gives the answers context.
 Most are available right here at no cost for a download. A great way to store info.
 I use them alot and when I am servicing one of my cars.
 I can just print the pages that I need instead of hauling around a book that is bulky and will just get dirty/damaged.
 When I am done, if the pages are clean, I put them in one of my binders for future reference/needs.
 If they are dirty, greasy, etc.. Into the shredder.
 Get one and read it. The foreward has decoding info, servicing/maintenance info, jacking points and much more.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

70vert

I found this link to download the FSM, they are by Brand, year & model. So if you want all it will be a lot of downloading but nice to have individual files. Not sure if this is what you were referring to @MoparLeo.

https://mymopar.com/service-manuals/

It seems odd that the 70 Dodge Challenger would be combined with the Dart. Wouldn't there be more common parts with the Charger.  :dunno:

MoparLeo

Yes! There is a treasure trove of info available in this site that you don't find anywhere else.
This is one of the things that make this site so great. But not using it, is like having a library full of books and not knowing how/wanting to read it. Not useful.
History gives you a much better understanding of how/why things have evolved. And you will get a much better appreciation of how we got to where we are now.
 Consider education. In school we spend 1-3 grades just learning to memorize things like the alphabet, adding, subtraction tables etc...
 We learn that 1 + 1 = 2 . But not why.  Knowing why something is, enables us to research and find the answers to the questions ourselves not having someone just tell us what the answers are. People are getting too lazy about doing "the work". Instead of figuring out the solutions to problems they rely on someone else to give them an answer. Not even knowing if the answer is correct or not. But if you do the work yourself, not only will you find the answer but will know why the answer is correct or not.
4 grade up  is when we are supposed to learn to find the answers ourselves ,with understanding. Why do you think we are graduating people who can't read or write ?
Have you ever paid attention to the cashiers when they have to give change ? They have to look at the screen to figure it out.
Turn the power off and society freezes. What do we do now ?!??
All they have to do is use Google to get the answers.  Sorry getting off the subject...

If you look at the files sizes of the Dodge year 1969 (288 Mb) vs 1970 (555 Mb) , you will see that there was much more info available because of a lot of changes in the carlines in 1970 and the addition of the Challenger E-body models. Remember that these manuals were written and printed in the pre computer age so it was all on paper. They needed to limit the size of the manuals. Like Encyclopedias for those that remember/know what they are. You didn't have one, huge book os 10,00+ pages. You have smaller volumes normally by alphabet letter order. Now the info of an entire library is avilable on your phone.
I think it was just easier and less confusing to list the B-body line separately from the A & E.
 More so in the Plymouth Manuals because the 1969 Dart/Barracuda lines were the same. The Barracuda was based on the A-body starting back to 1964.
I have downloaded all of the manuals on my computer and have a FSM folder to put them in. It doesn't take long to download and does not use a lot of memory.
 My Computer is over 10 years old and has no problems with storage.
I have used most of the manuals over the years even though I personally don't own cars or models from all of the years.
You can go back and refence prior years to find out when changes were made to brakes, engines, drivelines, ignition etc... I have also found that the illusrations were more plentiful and more detailed than later years. Good when researching info on specific parts, diagrams not always in the newer ( for that time) manuals.

anlauto

Disc on the front ? 10" on the rear :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo