Main Menu

Rear Leaf Spring Eye Brackets With Pics

Started by Daveh, March 09, 2017, 07:11:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Excellent: The front segment of the correct springs is 2 inches longer from the center bolt to the spring eye. So if you used the current front spring mounting brackets your rear axle would be located 2 inches back from where it is now. Hence the need for the correct front brackets. I agree with you that the two position adjustability is nice. You could just drill your current brackets 2 inches forward and use them.
Sheldon

Daveh

Well I Have the new springs from Dave already I might as well use them and purchase new brackets.  That makes it easy and correct. 

Daveh

Is there any value in those SS springs and brackets when I take them out? 

Burdar

Yes, there is value in the SS springs.  I don't know what to tell you on how much value.  Price out a new set and see if you can sell them for 1/2 of that maybe?

Cuda Cody

It's going to come down to length I think.  Yours look to be longer then stock.  The stock leafs might not fit.   :dunno:

Quote from: Daveh on March 09, 2017, 11:23:15 AM

If that's the case why can't I just use the same brackets?  It's not a concours car.  As long as they are safe why not?  Give me the ability to adjust the height if I want too?  Thoughts...

Thanks again

Daveh

Buying the brackets from Dave tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for all of the responses. 

HP2

Quote from: Daveh on March 09, 2017, 07:50:42 AM
This is an answer I received from the Cuda Challenger site.  It's a convertible and shows no signs of ever being drag raced. 

"You have Super Stock hangers and springs under your car. These leafs are two inches shorter in the front segment. They use a longer hanger with the two mounting holes you see. They are not original to the car, but are factory issued aftermarket."

So are they like that for adjustability?  Should I keep them?

That would have been me. I guess you aren't keeping them. Probably for the best. Looking at the additional pictures you posted over here, it appears you have factory R/T XHD spring pack set up underneath a SS main leaf. Weird combination, but it what is does is produce the SS spring action while retaining  the stock ride quality.  The SS arched main leaf created the extra lift you have now. Going back to the stock  set up will drop the rear down and they will appear flat when installed.

Quote from: Burdar on March 09, 2017, 08:43:34 AM
It depends on what SS springs you have. 

The SS springs have left and right part #s.  If you use a left and a right spring, the car will NOT sit level.  The right side spring is stiffer for drag racing.  The right side of the car will sit higher.  Some people use (2) left side springs instead of one left and one right.  This gets you a stiffer spring without the lop sided stance.  Since you're pictures show the front spring eye in the top hole on one side and the bottom hole on the other side, I think you have left and right springs.  Someone was trying to level out the stance and this is how they went about doing it.

I'm not sure that was a good idea.  I'm not sure how the different spring eye heights will affect the handling.

I agree. This is not the correct way to level the rear with the SS springs. In this case, the adjustment to level the rear should have been done by adjusting the opposing torsion bar up, not changing the mounting point of the leaf eye, which creates different instant centers side to side, which will monkey with a proper drag launch. Since I assume this isn't a drag car, get rid of them and try selling  them in the classifieds.

Cuda Cody

Thanks @HP2    :clapping:  You really know your springs!

I think Burdar is right.  There is some value in your set up, but it's going to take the right guy that needs them.  It might take a large place like ebay to get them sold.  :notsure: 

Daveh

Thanks guys I agree.  The rub in selling them is that they are so heavy the shipping can be cost prohibitive.  Once I get them out and changed over I will see if I can sell them locally through my local Mopar club or Craigslist first.

As I said before I will let you all know the progress as I go.  Thanks again for all of your incite it's awesome. 

Dave

Brads70

Quote from: Daveh on March 09, 2017, 11:35:01 AM
Well I Have the new springs from Dave already I might as well use them and purchase new brackets.  That makes it easy and correct.

You could redrill holes in the brackets you have?  :alan2cents:

Daveh

That's would be my second option but Dave at Roseville is given me a good price on stock ones so I'm going that route for now.  That way everything is as it should be.  Thanks

Cuda Cody

I like the stock option too.  :twothumbsup:  You'll always have your old parts as a back up plan if you don't like the stock set up.  Wait to sell until you are happy with the new set up.

Burdar

If you don't like the stance that you get with the HD springs, you can always add a leaf to them.  Back in the 90's when I was getting my 73 back on the road, the rear was sagging quite a bit.  We had a local shop install an extra main leaf(with the eyes cut off) under the original main leaf.  That brought the back end right back up.  I think it ended up about an 1" higher then stock with that extra leaf.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  I like that "slightly" higher look in the back.   :yes:

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 10, 2017, 10:48:03 AM
:iagree:  I like that "slightly" higher look in the back.   :yes:

Nobody likes a saggy rear end...... :rofl: :haha: