Main Menu

Rear Suspension RMS KIT LYNX

Started by zazou, February 18, 2018, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

I've never dealt with the RMS rear suspension but I have dealt with their front suspension & it's terrible.... The geometry makes the stock stuff look like it was designed by a McLaren Engineer...  Why would you put a suspension designed for a Pinto under a musclecar?

OE while far from optimized is what the chassis was designed to work with... I strongly suggest you look at Hotchkis' full package plus add US Car Tool's chassis stiffing parts....

Before throwing to many stones at the ride & handling of 1970 vintage Mopar's think back to how a 1970 Peugeot or 1970 Citroen rode & handled...

But if you change a few pieces to optimize what you have it can make a world of difference...

HP2

There are quite a few people who use the RMS kits and are happy with them. Installation is not particularly difficult.  For improvements, it is as I outlined previously, a bit lighter in weight, matched rates coil overs, with rack and pinion steering. I would not call it more modern aside from the use of coil overs, which are not typically found in OEM designs of any age.

IMO, the overall RMS designs are not particularly modern.  The rear Lynx kit is based on the 1964 GM A body 4 link layout. The front kit is designed from the 1973 Pinto layout. So if you think that these kits will have hugely improved geometry over the stock mopar design , that isn't the case. You are simply trading a Mopar design for a GM and Ford design from a similar era.

There also is a cost factor involved with these conversions. A front kit will run $5000 and a rear will be over $2000 or more once complete. That is going to be over $7000 compared to a Hotchkis kit at around $3400 for both front and rear. So twice as much for no more significant improvement in performance.

But that is the beauty of choice. If you really want to utilize a RMS kit, or XV kit, or Hemi Denny Kit, or upgrade the stock parts, you can do that.

GCragtop

Quote from: zazou on February 18, 2018, 09:54:37 AM
hello chryco !

accomplish  :notsure:

answer: modern suspension, removal of bars , a real suspension

currently suspension is horrible  :looney:

Factory suspension is quite nice if you have basic things done right. Change all worn out parts and make sure front end is aligned correctly. If you want to update something, I would contact Firm Feel Inc. They have good products and nice people to deal with.

zazou

Quote from: GCragtop on February 22, 2018, 08:19:01 AM
Quote from: zazou on February 18, 2018, 09:54:37 AM
hello chryco !

accomplish  :notsure:

answer: modern suspension, removal of bars , a real suspension

currently suspension is horrible  :looney:

Factory suspension is quite nice if you have basic things done right. Change all worn out parts and make sure front end is aligned correctly. If you want to update something, I would contact Firm Feel Inc. They have good products and nice people to deal with.

thank Gcragtop !, i view this professionnal,  :twothumbsup:
Plymouth Cuda 1973 - Normandie-France

cordodge

Well i do not have a lot of miles on my RMS front end (probably 100) if that. It drives like a chysler 300. No wandering or chasing the steering wheel just let it go and it goes straight as an arrow, Now im not road coarse racing the car so not sure how it would do there but for general driving I love it. Lots of room for 2-1/4" primary headers. I am sure there are other options that work great maybe even better not sure but I am glad I went this route. For now anyway lol, I guess ill find out after I drive it for awhile.

Bruce

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cordodge on February 28, 2018, 02:08:59 PM
Well i do not have a lot of miles on my RMS front end (probably 100) if that. It drives like a chysler 300. No wandering or chasing the steering wheel just let it go and it goes straight as an arrow, Now im not road coarse racing the car so not sure how it would do there but for general driving I love it. Lots of room for 2-1/4" primary headers. I am sure there are other options that work great maybe even better not sure but I am glad I went this route. For now anyway lol, I guess ill find out after I drive it for awhile.

Bruce

Properly set up the stock stuff will go straight just fine... And even go around corners... Next time your out for a drive try turning to full lock, either right or left doesn't matter, now foot off the brake & light throttle... Does the car turn smoothly for a full circle? Or does it seem to roll for a short distance then bind till the inside tire slips (it's called "stepping out") then roll freely again?   

I've worked on two cars with the RMS stuff both did the bind & step out thing.... That is a clear indication the Ackerman angle is off by a good amount.

Next again low (parking lot) speed, again full lock release the wheel, does it return to center?  Neither car I've worked on did....  This is an indication of either a caster issue or more likely a SAI angle problem....

Now just because the problems can be found at low speed doesn't mean they go away when you drive faster, it just means it's safer to demonstrate the problem at low speed....

If I'm speeding 4K+ to fix a perceived problem I'd sure like to have a better suspension when I'm done......The single thing I see the Alterkation giving you is a little more room by eliminating the steering box & the torsion bars... But the geometry is definitely worse...

Personally I'm a big supporter of Hotchkis, they keep what is good about stock Mopar stuff & improve on it.... Come out to one of the autocross events listed at this link...

http://www.hotchkis.net/category/events/

and see how many Alterkation/Magnumforce/Hemi Denny suspensions are running competitively.... Take a ride with Mary Pozzi in the Hotchkiss Challenger if she's there....

Hotchkiss is cheaper & better, I don't understand why anyone would use RMS...

zazou

to close this post, I stayed old school  :fingerscrossed:

I bought:

QA1 Stocker Star Shocks TD901
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-td901

Mopar Performance Competition Leaf Springs P3690460
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690460

Hotchkis Sport Suspension Heavy-Duty Shackle Kits 17367
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hss-17367

Lowering Block-1/2
http://www.calvertracing.com/store/lb02-lowering-block12-thick-w-916-pin-p-203.html

is perfect, thank you for your help to all !!!

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for the follow up. You have actually driven it and it's what you wanted then?
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
I am glad you are happy with the parts you have installed

zazou

yes, I must now work on the front train that needs it!