Main Menu

Rear sway bar (Cuda 70)

Started by THE ZUKE, May 21, 2019, 09:34:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

THE ZUKE

Hi  :)

I would like to install a rear sway bar because my cuda does not have. At the front, there is a big one.  ;)

Which brand and model do you recommend, Qa1, Hotchkis, Hellwing, Firmfeel, etc .... :thinking:

Thanks for your advices.  :worship:

303 Mopar

I installed a Hotckis front and rear bar on my Cuda and love it.  The rear is nice because it sits below the rear diff, arguably more effective. Fairly straight forward install too.

THE ZUKE

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 21, 2019, 09:49:06 AM
I installed a Hotckis front and rear bar on my Cuda and love it.  The rear is nice because it sits below the rear diff, arguably more effective. Fairly straight forward install too.

Thank you, do you have a picture (the rear sway bar intalled).  :)

303 Mopar

THE ZUKE

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 21, 2019, 10:39:05 AM

Thanks  :bigthumb: Nice car with a lovely sound (Cherry bomb exaust ?).

Chryco Psycho

I have used frame hung bars like the factroy where most of the weight is sprung / on the frame

Topcat

Big Torsion Bars, Poly bushings, frame connectors, good shocks work very well.

Even on my 426 Hemi. 
:alan2cents:

If ya wanna go Ricky Racer profile for corners and mountains then go for the rear sway bar as well.

Flat landers... ::)   :no:

1 Wild R/T

I strongly recommend adding a bigger front bar if you plan to run a rear bar....  I run the Hellwig bars, same design as the Hotchkis but less than half the cost if you shop around... I think SD Springs has the best price...

GCragtop

Firm Feel - looks almost like factory one.

HP2

Frame hung bars do reduce the unsprung weight compared to the axle hung bars. Reducing unsprung weight is always a positive.

Some axle hung bar are hollow, so they have less of an impact on unsprung weight.

Some axle hung bars have adjustable mounts so their applied rate can be changed.

The applied rate between the frame hung factory style and most axle hung aftermarket styles are actually fairly close.

If you already have a full exhaust system in your car, the axle hung style may not require any modifications to the exhaust system over the axle.

Axle hung bars are easy to install. Frame hung bars may require removal of components to get them into place.

THE ZUKE

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 21, 2019, 10:53:58 PM
I strongly recommend adding a bigger front bar if you plan to run a rear bar....  I run the Hellwig bars, same design as the Hotchkis but less than half the cost if you shop around... I think SD Springs has the best price...

At the front my cuda already has a big sway bar.

I have already looked at the price difference and I have always found Hellwig more expensive than Hotchkis.

I didn't know SD SPRINGS, I going to take a look.  :bigthumb:

THE ZUKE

Quote from: HP2 on May 22, 2019, 07:38:56 AM
Frame hung bars do reduce the unsprung weight compared to the axle hung bars. Reducing unsprung weight is always a positive.

Some axle hung bar are hollow, so they have less of an impact on unsprung weight.

Some axle hung bars have adjustable mounts so their applied rate can be changed.

The applied rate between the frame hung factory style and most axle hung aftermarket styles are actually fairly close.

If you already have a full exhaust system in your car, the axle hung style may not require any modifications to the exhaust system over the axle.

Axle hung bars are easy to install. Frame hung bars may require removal of components to get them into place.

Thank you for all these explanations. :bigthumb:

Yes my cuda already has a full line of 2.5 inch exhaust / flowmaster

Katfish

Why not get a factory rear bar?

HP2

Potential exhaust interference, shipping to Europe is expensive, if it doesn't work, returning it is more cost or selling it locally may be at a loss and then the process has to be repeated over again for a different bar.

That is part of my point about the usually larger diameter under hung bars not having significantly more or any more rate than the smaller  frame hung factory bars. There are several factors in all of this aside from diameter, among those being solid vs hollow, length of attaching arms, and length of attaching hardware. This is why a 1" diameter under hung bar may not produce more rate than a .75"  frame hung bar.

Shane Kelley

I can see somebody has already added suspension upgrades to that car. I see the bigger front sway bar you mentioned. I see the front lower control arms have been boxed. I also see rear torque boxes.  A rear Hotchkis bar is a simple install. I run them also and very happy with the quality and performance.