Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar Opinions

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 03, 2020, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

They do make shims for the pinion angle. I finished late last night and will check the other suggestions later today. Think the clearance at the wheel well issue is just a direct result of the car sitting 1 inch lower in the rear.

JonH

Quote from: Scooter on July 22, 2020, 03:22:19 PM
They do make shims for the pinion angle. I finished late last night and will check the other suggestions later today. Think the clearance at the wheel well issue is just a direct result of the car sitting 1 inch lower in the rear.

NO! You have something wrong. The wheel is not centered in the wheel well. Is the pin in the saddle on the rear end?

Scooter

Quote from: JonH on July 22, 2020, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: Scooter on July 22, 2020, 03:22:19 PM

NO! You have something wrong. The wheel is not centered in the wheel well. Is the pin in the saddle on the rear end?

Pin is in the saddle on both sides. Wheel looks to be in same location as before.. just an inch higher into the wheel well.

Mrbill426

How about straight on side pictures of each side of the car instead of 3/4 angles.  Something is definitely off by looking at that one photo.

Scooter

Quote from: Mrbill426 on July 22, 2020, 06:59:40 PM
How about straight on side pictures of each side of the car instead of 3/4 angles.  Something is definitely off by looking at that one photo.

Will do.. car is in garage and tight space is why I take angle shots.

7212Mopar

I agree pictures look like the axle is not centered and moved back. May be shipped you the wrong parts. Hotchkis known to do that on their torsion bars
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

HP2

I think it is camera angles impacting our views.  A straight side view would be more telling. The springs appear identical in length if you look at the offset of the main eye and locator pin from spring to spring.

Regarding side to side location of the axle, don't forget  in OEM form these cars had very loose tolerances for clearance and often are not always equal side to side and if any quarter panel work has been done to the car, these clearances can be further altered. I'd also add that I have seen cars that have had front bushings pressed in that were not centered in the spring eye.  If this was deliberately done to both eyes, then the axle can be offset a minor amount.

JS29

Mrbill426

I suppose it could be the angle because it looks like you couldn't even slide your finger between the tire and the rear of the wheel well while there is tons of room up forward.  :huh:

Quote from: HP2 on July 23, 2020, 07:00:13 AM
I think it is camera angles impacting our views.  A straight side view would be more telling. The springs appear identical in length if you look at the offset of the main eye and locator pin from spring to spring.

Regarding side to side location of the axle, don't forget  in OEM form these cars had very loose tolerances for clearance and often are not always equal side to side and if any quarter panel work has been done to the car, these clearances can be further altered. I'd also add that I have seen cars that have had front bushings pressed in that were not centered in the spring eye.  If this was deliberately done to both eyes, then the axle can be offset a minor amount.

Scooter

Better photo:

Compared to some photos when I purchased the car and the wheel looks to be in the same location. I "massaged" the small area of the inner fender lip that was rubbing last night and the rubbing seems to be cured.  :D

70 Challenger Lover

That photo angle does give a much better idea of how the tire sits in the wheel well. I like it. Good to know too because I am still in the process of putting new quarters on now so I might want to mock it all up with the tires I hope to run. It would be easy for me to create a little clearance at the lip opening now before everything is painted.

JonH

Huge difference when you get the right angle. That first pic made it look way out of wack!

YellowThumper

That looks much better at that angle. I see the wheels are 255/60/15s. Are they on 8" rims?
Strange you have rubbing issues.
My setup is 275/1615s on 8.5 rims and everything clears. Inside and outside with no clearancing.

How is the gap spacing on other side? Are they somewhat the same?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Scooter

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 28, 2020, 09:06:45 AM
That looks much better at that angle. I see the wheels are 255/60/15s. Are they on 8" rims?
Strange you have rubbing issues.
My setup is 275/1615s on 8.5 rims and everything clears. Inside and outside with no clearancing.

How is the gap spacing on other side? Are they somewhat the same?

I have a bit more spacing on the drivers side, no rubbing issues there. Not sure what the size/backspacing the 15 inch rims are, they were on the car when purchased. But I do have space available interior toward the leafspring. Maybe correct with a new set of rims?

**edit**
Just dug through the stack of receipts that cam wit hthe car... specs on the rear rim:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-56-5812042

Wheel Diameter:15 in.
Wheel Width (in):8.000 in.
Wheel Bolt Pattern (app):5 x 114.3mm
5 x 4 1/2 in.
Wheel Material:Steel
TPMS Sensor Compatible:No
Primary Wheel Color:Silver
Wheel Finish:Gloss
Manufacturers Wheel Series:Wheel Vintiques 56 Series
Backspacing (in):4.500 in.

think an 8.5 would fix?

YellowThumper

Not 100% versed on wheels. IIRC. 4.5 back spaced would push the wheel outward from midpoint by 1/2 inch.
The ones I showing with mine are custom built. 8.5 (tire mounting lip to lip). The mounting face to outer tire mounting is 3.75".
4.75" of rim is inwards. I believe mine would be considered a negative offset.
Hopefully someone in the know can chime in for confirmation.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.