Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar Opinions

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 03, 2020, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 28, 2020, 03:50:04 PM
Not 100% versed on wheels. IIRC. 4.5 back spaced would push the wheel outward from midpoint by 1/2 inch.
The ones I showing with mine are custom built. 8.5 (tire mounting lip to lip). The mounting face to outer tire mounting is 3.75".
4.75" of rim is inwards. I believe mine would be considered a negative offset.
Hopefully someone in the know can chime in for confirmation.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Tire /rim size and backspacing is a bit confusing to me as well.

This rim manufacturer does not offer a 8.5 inch rim.. jumps from 8 to 10 inches. Options in 10 inch:

Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 15 in.x 10 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5 in. Backspace, Each

Wheel, Chrysler Rallye, Steel, Silver, 15 in.x 10 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 5.5 in. Backspace, Each

Don't know if there's enough space for a 10 inch rim.. But it sure looks like I have enough room (an an inch or two)  toward the leaf springs.

YellowThumper

8" wheel is plenty for the most part. Can still run 275s with no issue. Have seen 295s on 8" rims but in my opinion they start to look stuffed.
Mine take up all space to the inside. Wheels are close to leaf springs but never rub.

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

4.5" is a standard ebody back spacing.  :alan2cents:

More back spacing would move it in towards the springs. Tough to add back spacing though. Easier to take it away. I would look at clearancing the wheel lip.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on July 29, 2020, 07:43:57 AM
4.5" is a standard ebody back spacing.  :alan2cents:

More back spacing would move it in towards the springs. Tough to add back spacing though. Easier to take it away. I would look at clearancing the wheel lip.
Yes, also agree that is standard.
1/2" more backspace from center. However when talking offset. Positive offset is same as more backspace.

Because of the rubbing. I questioned if op's rims have the offset incorrect direction.
Pic for comparisons.

End of the day. Removal and measurement of wheel will answer any question.
Obviously clearancing can be done. But for me it would not be an option. We have huge wheelwells in comparison to most of the era.

Mike.

dodj

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 29, 2020, 08:16:06 AM
We have huge wheelwells in comparison to most of the era.

For sure. I have 315's in my non modified wheel wells.
I just figured, he has bought the rims. You can't move a rim inwards, so... Clearancing is all that is left... I think?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Scooter

I've got about 1.25 inches from the tire to the leaf on both sides. Imagine I could move inward and inch without issue as the distance from the tire to the leaf spring never changes unlike the distance from the tire to the wheelwell which moves with body roll etc.

Brads70

Quote from: Scooter on July 29, 2020, 03:05:45 PM
I've got about 1.25 inches from the tire to the leaf on both sides. Imagine I could move inward and inch without issue as the distance from the tire to the leaf spring never changes unlike the distance from the tire to the wheelwell which moves with body roll etc.
Tire also deflects spring side too. More so near the bottom. Also more so with 15" tires than bigger say 18"   :alan2cents:

Scooter

Quote from: Brads70 on July 29, 2020, 03:13:12 PM
Tire also deflects spring side too. More so near the bottom. Also more so with 15" tires than bigger say 18"   :alan2cents:

^^ True that.. I'd think there would be a lot less deflection on the rear tire as the drive angle does not change as radically as the front. 1/2 in extra backspace would probably do the trick for me, split the difference and still leave me with a good 3/4 inch from the leaf. That is if I can locate a similar wheel with 5 inch backspace.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Scooter on July 29, 2020, 03:38:08 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on July 29, 2020, 03:13:12 PM

^^ True that.. I'd think there would be a lot less deflection on the rear tire as the drive angle does not change as radically as the front. 1/2 in extra backspace would probably do the trick for me, split the difference and still leave me with a good 3/4 inch from the leaf. That is if I can locate a similar wheel with 5 inch backspace.

Agree there is deflection. But up top there is body role to contend with also.

Mike.