Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar Bolts

Started by jlemler, November 21, 2019, 04:26:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

I am getting ready to put an original rear swaybar on my 1970 Cuda.  Two questions:

1. What size are the screws that hold on the bracket to the frame?  I believe they are screws since they don't pass all the way through the frame.

2. What is the process for replacing the rubber bushings on the swaybar without cutting the new ones to get them on?  Or is this impossible?

Jay Bee

Here's a picture I saved from CC.c of the bolts. I think the ones with internal teeth are the best if you can find them.

anlauto

I was getting reading to type a long description, but that pictures speaks a thousand words  :twothumbsup: Nice job John  :worship:

There's no way to change the bushings without drilling and welding that I know of....I usually leave the originals alone if they appear to be in nice shape. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Well, I've actually painstakingly removed it, not easy.

I had to to break up all the rust holding the rubber to the bracket. I used thin screwdrivers and shims to jam in between there then worked & worked some WD40 and oil in there until the rubber was free enough to push out of the bracket. On the curved part I went in from both sides. Once the rubber was free of the brackets they just slipped off the ends. This is just a very brief explanation of what I can remember of how I did it.   

jlemler

So what I am here on the bushing is just pry it out slip it off.  Easy enough.  How about using an aftermarket bushing?  Will it work with the original stuff?  Can I stretch the new one over the end with out ruining it?

Burdar

If the original bushing is hard and dried out, it will be almost impossible to get over the swaybar eyelet without cutting it.  There is no direct aftermarket replacement.  You can probably find something that will work and modify/cut it to the correct size.

I don't think it would be a big deal if the bushing was cut.  Some aftermarket bushings for the front swaybar come cut already.

The fastest/easiest thing would be to drill one of the spot welds and open up the strap.  You can clean and repaint the bar with the bushing still inplace.  Just paint part of the bar and slide the bushing over onto the painted side to paint the other area.  Lots of different ways to do it.

If the bracket bolts don't tighten up because of damage to the frame holes, you can insert a paper clip into the hole while you tighten.  That will shrink the hole so the bolt with tighten.  If the car isn't painted yet, you should look at the holes and fix if needed.  If it's already painted, the paper clip trick works in a pinch.  Of course you could use a "through" bolt but that wouldn't look stock. 

three two barrels

Mega Parts have the exact bolts part number 165-SBTA.

jlemler

Why wouldn't any of these work for the bushing on the rear sway bar?

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/sway-bar-bracket-bushing

They look like they would work.

71vert340

Jlemler, that has to do with a teacher's union.

71vert340

I see the link is corrected for the Autozone bushings. They look correct. I entered my 1974 Charger in the box for "My Vehicle" to search for the bushings and it showed they have the ones that are an exact fit. The only difference is the Autozone ones are split.  Thanks
Terry

Topcat

Energy suspension does make a Poly bushings for the rear Sway bar but they're not listed.

They have a split on them so they can be twisted open then wrapped around the bar.

I don't see why there's any reason why you couldn't re-weld the brackets together with the new bushings onto the bar.

Somebody with a very wet towel ready to put any flames out while welding.

Burdar

QuoteI don't see why there's any reason why you couldn't re-weld the brackets together with the new bushings onto the bar.

That's what I did.  Bullitt sent me his original bushings when he changed to poly.  I cut my old hard bushings off and installed his (still pliable) original ones on the bar.  Then the strap was welded back on.

76orangewagon

I know the OP was regarding bolts but as the others have stated regarding replacing the rubber... I did the same removal process, drill out the spot welds and soaked my bushings in PB Blaster and it softened them up and then re-welded them together.

76orangewagon

Quote from: TX9AAR on November 22, 2019, 03:50:40 PM
Are the brackets natural or painted black?

Black ...my pictures were before paint

76orangewagon