Main Menu

RMS Alterktion front suspension install

Started by miketyler, October 20, 2022, 01:45:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

miketyler

I've purchased the k-member kit and need to install to locate engine and mockup the trans tunnel for the 8spd. I also plan to use the Hellcat mounts and was wondering about firewall clearance. Some have relocated the mounts 2" forward to increase firewall clearance for wiper motor. Have any of you had to do this? Any other things I should be aware of?   

anlauto

I've done two now, but only 392's not a Hellcrate...It is really tight and certainly would benefit from being moved forward 2"....There's tons of room up front....Not sure why RMS keeps it so far back :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dmod1974

Quote from: anlauto on October 20, 2022, 02:03:06 PM
I've done two now, but only 392's not a Hellcrate...It is really tight and certainly would benefit from being moved forward 2"....There's tons of room up front....Not sure why RMS keeps it so far back :dunno:

Shifter location for manuals would be my best guess.  Non-issue on an auto.  Mine is definitely biased to the front of the shifter opening; 2" would cause clearance issues. 

Though, anybody installing a 6 speed behind them like I did is going to be cutting up that tunnel anyways.  I doubt many people are doing Hellcat swaps and running stock 4 speeds or even 5 speeds.

HP2

For handling applications, you want weight as close to to the center of gravity as possible, thus, moving an engine backwards towards the firewall.  Most of our cars have the CoG right about where the top of a manual shifter is.