Main Menu

Seeking Steering Linkage Restoration Advice

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 12, 2023, 01:22:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Needing to know pretty much everything on restoring these units as I have very little experience in front ends or linkage. Thankfully I have the 1970 challenger service manual to make sure I use the proper nomenclature here. Pretty obvious that I'll need to disassemble all of this and soak everything to degrease it all then I plan to strip it all and properly refinish it, and then reassemble with any new parts that are needed. I don't have any of the old Chrysler tools to remove tie rod ends studs/knuckle arm devices. I would also think that I would need to take the tie rod ends out of the sleeves to soak all of them in solvent as well before painting. Just looking for a paint by number format of how to go about doing this and doing it correctly. I have every reason to believe that these parts are original to the car, keeping in mind that the car was tossed into storage 30 years ago with 64,000 miles. I don't own a press, but have no problem in buying one. And yes, I have all upper/lower control arms/cams/bushings/rotors/spindles/near NOS disks, etc. Any guidance appreciated. (70 Challenger RT, front disk car, U code)
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

As an add-on comment, my plan is to have the k frame, all the linkage and steering components and front disks assembled with engine sitting on top for inserting the entire package from underneath the car when the time comes... Just like they do on graveyard cars.

anlauto

Well, I would REPLACE the tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, not repaint them, but that's just me  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

bdschnei

Bret

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

7E-Bodies