Main Menu

slow leak from rear mounting bolt on power steering pump

Started by Dakota, August 28, 2023, 11:00:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I have slow and steady drip of power steering fluid hitting the floor under my car.   It appears to originate from around the bracket bolt that goes into the back of the Federal (?) style power steering pump (see pictures below).   Is the bolt supposed to have thread sealant on it?   A rubber washer?  I don't remember using either when I assembled the motor several years ago. 

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi(s)!

Solarguy

There is an O ring that goes under the bolt.  It's a taller height than your standard O ring.  The rebuild kits include it and are only a few bucks. 

EDIT for additional info:  The O ring goes between the bracket and the pump, NOT under the bolt head. 

Dakota

@Solarguy  Thanks much for the reply.    I found a power steering pump seal kit on eBay, the contents of which are shown below.   Is the required o-ring the one on the extreme left?   If not, I would appreciate if you could point out the correct one.

Solarguy

I can't really tell from the pic which O ring it is but now that my memory is jogged, I believe the pump has to be separated from the reservoir and it gets squeezed between pump body and reservoir tank via that bracket bolt.

Dakota

OK - thanks for the update.   This is a replacement PS pump (including the housing) so I'm going to assume that o-ring is already inside the pump as you described.   When I tried to re-seal my original pump, I kept having leaks between the housing and the pump through the large o-ring which is why I bought a new one, so I'm not in hurry to take the new pump apart just yet.

I'm going to try some thread sealant on the bolt.

Mrbill426

Quote from: Solarguy on August 30, 2023, 06:28:07 AM
I can't really tell from the pic which O ring it is but now that my memory is jogged, I believe the pump has to be separated from the reservoir and it gets squeezed between pump body and reservoir tank via that bracket bolt.

I agree  :iagree:; been there, done that; the O-ring is sandwiched between the reservoir and the pump.  I think there is a recess in the pump casting.