Main Menu

Tire size recomendations

Started by tparker, February 13, 2021, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Quote from: Scooter on February 14, 2021, 03:47:18 PM

Thought so. Guess one could buy the MT blackwall and get a set of those Goodyear tire stickers for aesthetics. Wonder how well those last?

What MT size(s) would be the equivalent to 255-60r-15 102s & 225-60r-15 95s ?

Quote from: Scooter on February 14, 2021, 09:04:21 PM
Looks like I might have issues getting a matching set of the SR's for the front and rear due to size constraints. But if I move from a 225 up front to a 235 (think it'll fit) I can get a set of MT ET STREET S/S for all 4 corners. Any opinions on these?

The SR 26x8 if .5 greater in diameter (which will raise the car .25 taller) and .5 narrower than a 225/60. The SR 28x10 is 1" greater diameter (.5"  taller on the car) and spot on width wise to a 255/60. This actually would be a nice staggered combo that will appear very nearly the same as your current 225/60-255/60 combo.

235/60  will fit up front but will look small on the rear. If you run a staggered set up now, why not continue? I wouldn't run drag tires on a street car myself, but others have done it.  Soft compounds will wear quickly and even though they have some tread, they don't handle moisture well. The old BFG G-Force drag tires were an exception to this as they were more of a street tire with drag characteristics than a drag tire with street tread, such as the MT  ET series.

I'm currently running a 26x10 on the front of my Dodge, which is about equivalent to 255/50. But your backspace has to be spot on.  Rear tires on mine are 26x12  (305/45 in metric terms). I might go 28x12 in the future. Dunno, depends on how well these grip.

Scooter

^^ I was not in the market for a drag or super soft compound, just looking for something with a better ride than the BFG and a newer tread pattern. Car sits so low the extra .5 inch would be a blessing as long as I do not run into rubbing issues in the back.

So it looks like 26 x 8.00-15 front & 28 x 10.00-15 back would do the trick nicely. Thanks for the great info and sorry to OP if I dragged the thread a bit OT.

HP2

With the exception of race tires, the SR is, I believe, the newest technology 15" carcass on the street market. This is because the tire was designed  for the 17 and 18  inch wheel crowd and then down sized for 15 molds.

I've run 275/60 street tires and 28x10 drag tires on the rear of my Challenger without any contact issues. Proved you don't have an unusual offset on your rims that put them into the wheel opening lip, you should be fine.

70pumpkin

Hi Tom,
I was in the same situation (and very torn) but after trying out my friend's 17-inch rallyes, I decided to go with 15-inchers.  I hated the fact that 15-inch tires are so awful but ultimately, it came down to aesthetics and my desire for white lettering.  On my friend's car, the 17-inchers look great but on my car, the white lettering just seemed to look better imho.  If 17-inch tires came with white lettering, I would've gone with them as the tires are so much better. The 17-inch rallyes look really nice too.
Here are some pics that may help you in your decision.  Note: the 17-inch wheels didn't fill up the fender because the car was raised. 

tparker

@70pumpkin Thanks for the picks. For our cars, I think thicker tires actually look better than thinner. But after seeing a bunch of photo's the 17's don't look bad at all to me. I agree, I would prefer the white lettering too. I got two cooper tires and put them white lettering out.

I have 14's and want to go up, for a couple reasons. One is two lower RPM's. I already have 3.23 gears and really don't want to go smaller. I still want some fun at stop lights :) But it seems larger rims size is really offset with tire height so that should be part of my equation. I guess I have to weigh tire availability, price, and rim weight. ack. LOL. Luckily I am not in a hurry at the moment. Just preparing in case I find a good deal.

dodj

Quote from: cudaragtop on February 14, 2021, 11:16:47 AM
They have a "W" Speed Rating 168 MPH
Been driving on this set of wheels and tires since 2013 and I love them.
How close have you come to eclipsing the spec?  :burnout:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cudaragtop

Who says you can't have it all?
Don't tell that to member GoodysGotaCuda

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/goodysgotacuda-wheel-and-tire-specs/10283/msg141821#msg141821

Quoted from Goody's Post... for more info go to the link above.

Front
Tire Size: 255/50/17
Tire Height: 27.1"
Wheel Size: 17" x 8.0"
Wheel Backspacing: 4.50"

Rear
Tire Size: 295/45/18
Tire Height: 28.5"
Wheel Size: 18" x 9.0"
Wheel Backspacing: 5.90" - 0.375" spacers = 5.525" total

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

challengermaniac

Wow, appears they are coming out with a good selection of white lettered 17" tire stickers!  How exciting!!!!

1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

tparker

@cudaragtop @GoodysGotaCuda
Wow, those are nice wheels. I have a Yellow Challenger and one of the previous owner painted the ralley wheels Black. I dig the black and yellow combo. If I upgrade the wheels, I'll definitely keep these at the top of the list.

1973Cuda

I have 17 inch Yearone Rallyes with 245/45 on front and 275/40's on rear w/ white letters from Tirestickers.

cudaragtop

Quote from: tparker on February 17, 2021, 10:32:38 AM
@cudaragtop @GoodysGotaCuda
Wow, those are nice wheels. I have a Yellow Challenger and one of the previous owner painted the ralley wheels Black. I dig the black and yellow combo. If I upgrade the wheels, I'll definitely keep these at the top of the list.

We are going Black 17" Year One Rallye Wheels on my son's 69 Barracuda Fastback.

We think they will look awesome in matte black with 2015 Viper Gunmetal Pearl paint on the car.

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

cudaragtop

We are going Black 17" Year One Rallye Wheels on my son's 69 Barracuda Fastback.

We think they will look awesome in matte black with 2015 Viper Gunmetal Pearl paint on the car.

Got a ways to go still.

FF376

Love the look on the 71 Challenger. Can you maybe expand on that a little? Couple more pics and is the car at stock ride height? I've been pondering a similar set up...

challengermaniac

Hey guys, I am now ready to order my new wheels and tires.  As noted, I have a 1970 Challenger Vert with drum brakes all the way around (which I plan to change to disc at some point) and I love the look and stance of Randy's 1970 Cuda Vert.  My only concern is whether I would be better served with a slightly smaller tire width front and back just to ensure no tire rub.  So, which does everyone think is best....Randy's 245's up front and 275's out back or more conservative 235's up front and 255's our back?
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

MOPAR MITCH

Skip the very small 235s.. just go 275-40-17 both front and rear on the Year One 17x9 rims... will fit A-OK because the backspacing/offset is correct.