Main Menu

Tire size recomendations

Started by tparker, February 13, 2021, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

My challenger has 14" and I originally was going to put 15" wheels on it. But it seems 14 and 15 inch tires are getting harder to find as modern cars are using 17+" tires. The 14 and 15 inch tires seem to be specialty tires now. I saw the sticky thread showing lots of challengers with 17 and 18 inch wheels. I am sorta thinking getting 17" aluminum ralley wheel instead of 15". Any reason not to? Thoughts?

RUNCHARGER

For a car you drive I would. The 17 inch rallyes look really good and the lack of decent 15 inch tires pretty much makes it a no brainer. I wouldn't even consider 14's other than Polyglas GT's for show only. I know everyone says the Polyglas dsrive just fine but I beg to differ. I took off lowly Radial T/A's (which I have a low opinion of) and swapped on Polyglas GT's on my Charger and although it looked much better it degraded the driving enjoyment substantially.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

The YearOne 17" Rallye wheel looks close to the original. It fits the Dr Diff 13" disc kit. However it is not the lightest combo. There is another brand of Aluminum Rallye wheels that don't look as well, forgot the brand name. Check out YearOne price. Their shipping is high. I think Jegs and Classic also carry them. Summit is free shipping and used to carry them too but I heard they no longer do.

I am running Hankook on mine. They look great and drive/ride ok and wear well.But I might try something more sticky when I change tires.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

HP2

IMO, the Mickey Thompson SR tire line offers plenty of sizes in 15" to fit our E bodies. Every 15 rim size from 24x5 to 33x22 with an H speed rating  and a soft compound means they are head an shoulders above a BFG or Cooper.

With 2 ply sidewall ratios from 40 to 80, they may not be the best for all out handling, but few of our cars are driven that way anymore and if they are, then 18" rims are pretty much required.

Shoooter

My next car will have the 17 rallyes on them. I'm a big fan of how they look and with the tire selection it  makes sense

Dakota

I have 18" wheels on the back and 17" on the front.  I'm very happy with how they handle and look.   

Scooter

Quote from: HP2 on February 14, 2021, 09:19:31 AM
IMO, the Mickey Thompson SR tire line offers plenty of sizes in 15" to fit our E bodies. Every 15 rim size from 24x5 to 33x22 with an H speed rating  and a soft compound means they are head an shoulders above a BFG or Cooper.

With 2 ply sidewall ratios from 40 to 80, they may not be the best for all out handling, but few of our cars are driven that way anymore and if they are, then 18" rims are pretty much required.

What are peoples feelings on the MT ST tires? Better or same as BFG/Cooper? I like the look of the raised white letters, the SR line seem to all come in blackwall only.

cudaragtop

I'm partial to the Year One Mopar Rallye Wheels
I'm running the staggered set.
They are 25.7" tall front and rear.
I set my car with at most ~1/2" more height in back measured from ground to the center of the wheel openings.
Just my personal preference.

245/45-17x8 front and 275/40-17x9 rear
Tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy Wide Oval, Ultra High Performance Summer Tire. They have a "W" Speed Rating 168 MPH
Been driving on this set of wheels and tires since 2013 and I love them. Ride nice, grip great, zero complaints.
I will replace these Tires with the same ones again when the time comes. I almost want to buy a set now just so I have them in case they discontinue them...

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

tparker

Thanks. I'm looking at the YearOne aluminum ones. I would prefer ralley style wheels but would consider another style if need be. Whatever the weight, I would imagine it is lighter than the stock steel ones..... right? I just bought a 2 14" Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires that are supposed to be OK. Not great tires but they are cheap and decent looking. I'll run those until I upgrade. The weird thing is, I expected the 17" tires to be taller but based on @cudaragtop description, they are essentially the same height as my 14" tires. Yeah I now the sidewall height is different, but I still thought it would be taller. So much for trying to lower my Highway RPMs. LOL

HP2

Quote from: Scooter on February 14, 2021, 10:53:27 AM

What are peoples feelings on the MT ST tires? Better or same as BFG/Cooper? I like the look of the raised white letters, the SR line seem to all come in blackwall only.

Yes, SRs are only blackwall.  Technically, all MT tires are made by Cooper, since Cooper bought em back in 2003, but the ST is simply a rebadged Cooper Cobra.  IMO, any tire that is speed rated S or T is a cosmetic tire and not a real performance tire. 

FWIW, Cooper owns Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek.

Scooter

Quote from: HP2 on February 14, 2021, 03:17:41 PM
Quote from: Scooter on February 14, 2021, 10:53:27 AM

Yes, SRs are only blackwall.  Technically, all MT tires are made by Cooper, since Cooper bought em back in 2003, but the ST is simply a rebadged Cooper Cobra.  IMO, any tire that is speed rated S or T is a cosmetic tire and not a real performance tire. 

FWIW, Cooper owns Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek.

Thought so. Guess one could buy the MT blackwall and get a set of those Goodyear tire stickers for aesthetics. Wonder how well those last?

What MT size(s) would be the equivalent to 255-60r-15 102s & 225-60r-15 95s ?

cudaragtop

Quote from: tparker on February 14, 2021, 12:21:13 PM
Thanks. I'm looking at the YearOne aluminum ones. I would prefer ralley style wheels but would consider another style if need be. Whatever the weight, I would imagine it is lighter than the stock steel ones..... right? I just bought a 2 14" Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires that are supposed to be OK. Not great tires but they are cheap and decent looking. I'll run those until I upgrade. The weird thing is, I expected the 17" tires to be taller but based on @cudaragtop description, they are essentially the same height as my 14" tires. Yeah I now the sidewall height is different, but I still thought it would be taller. So much for trying to lower my Highway RPMs. LOL

If you want to go to taller tires, go taller...
NT555 G2 Ultra High Performance Summer Tire 275/50-17 is 27.83" tall

All depends on what you want out of them. If you want to lower rpms, you can change rear end gear ratio...

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Scooter

Looks like I might have issues getting a matching set of the SR's for the front and rear due to size constraints. But if I move from a 225 up front to a 235 (think it'll fit) I can get a set of MT ET STREET S/S for all 4 corners. Any opinions on these?

challengermaniac

Quote from: cudaragtop on February 14, 2021, 11:16:47 AM
I set my car with at most ~1/2" more height in back measured from ground to the center of the wheel openings.

Tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy Wide Oval, Ultra High Performance Summer Tire. They have a "W" Speed Rating 168 MPH
Been driving on this set of wheels and tires since 2013 and I love them. Ride nice, grip great, zero complaints.
I will replace these Tires with the same ones again when the time comes. I almost want to buy a set now just so I have them in case they discontinue them...

Just wanting to confirm 1). 245/45-17x8's front wheels and tires will work/fit on stock drum brakes and 2). Front Back Space of 4 1/4" and Rear Back Space of 5"?  I'm thinking they should, but just want to verify ahead of time. 

Please excuse if this is considered a hijack of the thread.

Ps: I absolutely love the stance of your car cudaragtop!  Would this pretty much be the same stance for a 1970 Challenger?
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

cudaragtop

Quote from: challengermaniac on February 14, 2021, 09:54:23 PM
Quote from: cudaragtop on February 14, 2021, 11:16:47 AM

Just wanting to confirm 1). 245/45-17x8's front wheels and tires will work/fit on stock drum brakes and 2). Front Back Space of 4 1/4" and Rear Back Space of 5"?  I'm thinking they should, but just want to verify ahead of time. 

Please excuse if this is considered a hijack of the thread.

Ps: I absolutely love the stance of your car cudaragtop!  Would this pretty much be the same stance for a 1970 Challenger?

Thanks.
Stance is with stock torsion bar suspension and leaf springs so should be pretty similar to stock suspension on a Challenger.

I think the backspace you have for the fronts is incorrect though... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ pretty certain they are 4.5" BS not 4.25" BS...

This is the set I have from Year One: MRWSL1

Year One Mopar Rallye wheel kit with light argent center caps and lug nuts.
Includes:
2 - 17x8" wheels with 4-1/2" Backspacing 
2 - 17x9" wheels with 5" Backspacing 
4 - Light argent early style center cap

All stock suspension. No issues.