Main Menu

unkown power steering gear box

Started by hive77, September 10, 2020, 08:04:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

hive77

I received a unkown new power steering gear box free of charge from the vehicle seller when I bought the car because the steering in the vehicle is defective (it steers easily, does not turn straight anymore) I'm not sure whether this steering box fits, I don't want to dismantle everything to have to determine afterwards that the steering gear box is wrong. does any of you know this steering? does this fit in a 1973 Dodge Challenger?

Unbenannt" border="0

the valve that is mounted on the old gearbox is also missing, is it already installed in the new one?
Unbenannt" border="0

Bullitt-

I have never seen a Power Steering Box that looks like the picture in your post.

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

greentween

Has  anyone tried fitting that box? I just ordered Cardone 27-6542 from advanced auto for a 74 challenger and received a steering box which looks like the one in the 1st picture. It's not the same Chrysler box that is shown in second picture, but it looks like it may fit?

Brads70

BIGSHCLUNK

Topcat

greentween

There was a tag on it with numbers. Didn't look like there was any other info on the tag but a serial number. I did find a tiny sticker on the inner box that it came in : "Made in China".

The part number on the box was Cardone 27-6542. Picture of it on their web site is of a Chrysler PS box but actually you get some modified box which looks like it would work. I didn't try it and returned it. The splines matched and the hose fittings looked like they would work. I didn't like the idea of sending other than what picture showed.

FYI : This is second box I ordered from a retailer. The other box I got last year was from rockauto. I ordered cardone 27-6515 which is the 89 diplomat police box. It was cheap. Problem is that its junk. I didn't return it because of shipping charges, and it was pretty cheap. So my advise is dont buy one from Rockauto. Advanced Auto refunded at the store no problem.

Bullitt-

Ran across this... Appears that it's a thing, uses the larger 1.25 sector shaft 
     https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/82-00475_AN

I'd prefer a rebuilt original or better yet send yours to Firm Feel or Steer & Gear and get the upgrade

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Brads70

Quote from: Bullitt- on September 26, 2020, 06:26:57 AM
Ran across this... Appears that it's a thing, uses the larger 1.25 sector shaft 
     https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/82-00475_AN

I'd prefer a rebuilt original or better yet send yours to Firm Feel or Steer & Gear and get the upgrade

How do the lines hook up? I see only one hole for a line?  :notsure:

Scooter

If I had to guess the hoses connect here:

Interesting looking unit. Eliminates the castellated nuts and valve top connectors with all the o-rings. Be interested to see how it works if someone gives it a go.

hive77

I recently changed the steering gearbox. the holes fit, the steering arm fits too. the original hydraulic hose fits too, i had to bend it because it was to short. return hose was ok. Unfortunately the steering shaft is too short for the steering column coupler  :dunno:. I also had to put shims on one side, otherwise the gearbox would touch the wheel arch. I have now noticed that there is no bearing installed on my steering column and that the steering column and the gearbox are not aligned. my steering shaft is now 1cm out of the middle, but it could be that it was already happened with the old gearbox. i recently drove around the block briefly with the new gearbox, the steering is now harder but more comfortable.

Scooter

Quote from: hive77 on September 28, 2020, 10:49:12 AM
I recently changed the steering gearbox. the holes fit, the steering arm fits too. the original hydraulic hose fits too, i had to bend it because it was to short. return hose was ok. Unfortunately the steering shaft is too short for the steering column coupler  :dunno:. I also had to put shims on one side, otherwise the gearbox would touch the wheel arch. I have now noticed that there is no bearing installed on my steering column and that the steering column and the gearbox are not aligned. my steering shaft is now 1cm out of the middle, but it could be that it was already happened with the old gearbox. i recently drove around the block briefly with the new gearbox, the steering is now harder but more comfortable.

Good to know it fits and seems to work w/o modification. By "steering is now harder" do yo mean it requires more effort to turn -or- just feels more firm?

hive77

It requires more effort and feels more firm  :D
Ratio seems near similar to the old one