Main Menu

Washers between the wheel and hub?

Started by gzig5, May 06, 2018, 12:14:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

When I removed the 14" Rally wheels on my 73 Cuda, I found that there was a 1/16" narrow washer on the studs between the wheel and the hub body.  Is this a trick I don't know about?  The wheels have an inner and outer rim around the stud area so that the lug nut doesn't bottom out.  Looks like they were trying to take up that space for some reason?  They definitely were not bearing evenly.  Unless there is a good reason to keep them, they are going in the trash.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Junk: Some people should not work on cars.
Sheldon

lulurocks(Ken)

"with the wheel off"   .......

make sure the lugs are the proper depth to tread all the way onto the stud and touch the drum or rotor .

ive seen guys washer behind wheels so they didn't have to buy the right lugs after a wheel swap.  i spent a lot of years in the used car business ...    adapters washer etc are hack and dangerous   imo....

torredcuda

Quote from: lulurocks(Ken) on May 06, 2018, 03:39:05 PM
make sure the lugs are the proper depth to tread all the way onto the stud and touch the drum or rotor .

ive seen guys washer behind wheels so they didn't have to buy the right lugs after a wheel swap.  i spent a lot of years in the used car business ...    adapters washer etc are hack and dangerous   imo....

You would not want the lugnut to touch the drum or rotor as then you not be putting torque on the wheel.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

lulurocks(Ken)

Quote from: torredcuda on May 06, 2018, 03:49:19 PM

You would not want the lugnut to touch the drum or rotor as then you not be putting torque on the wheel.

with  the wheel off lol left that important part out

gzig5

"with the wheel off"   .......

Could be the lug nutz.  There are definitely two different brands/sizes in the mix.  I had to use two different sockets to remove the wheels.  Will verify the depth.  Thanks for the clue!

BIGSHCLUNK

gzig5