Main Menu

Weird grinding noise in my Barracuda

Started by soundcontrol, June 26, 2021, 05:23:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

I put the car in winter storage for 4 months, was fine when I drove it in there, right when I took it out a while ago and on my way home I notice a metal grinding noise while braking, I also tested it a bit more and the noise is still present when I slow down fast or put the car in first gear, without touching the brakes. (only when driving a bit faster, like over 15-20mph) Hard to locate the sound, from what I can hear it seems to come from the the front part, and sound like a hollow metal grind. The brakes are new, the front wheel bearings are new, the wheels spin fine when jacked up, no excessive play in bearings. I thought it could be the exhaust rubbing on the frame so I put a camera under and drove it, nope... and the engine mounts are fine, engine is not loose. Weird thing is the it came so quick after 4 months of storage... Some videos while driving. Any tips?

Bullitt-

just an observation... the noise seems to come and go at somewhat of a regular interval which makes me think of something cycling on & off, most lasting about 4-seconds a couple 2-3 seconds. My only thought is the alternator  :dunno:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Do you have the AC compressor still on the car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2021, 06:05:39 AM
Do you have the AC compressor still on the car ?

Yes, the AC kompressor is there, the alternator is recently replaced, hmm, might be... gonna remove the belts now and see if it disappears.
Waterpump and PS goes on a separate belt.

soundcontrol

Nope, took the belts off, same noise. I put the car in N while rolling and turned off the engine, same noise, gotta be brakes....even though they are brand new, maybe a loose brake shoe or something. Strange that is happens without touching the brakes also though. Wheels off then.

anlauto

Well that's good news...How about in the rear brakes possible a spring broke and is flopping around in the drum and gets caught every once and a while ? :dunno:  I'm just throwing shit to see if it sticks... :smile:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2021, 09:14:53 AM
Well that's good news...How about in the rear brakes possible a spring broke and is flopping around in the drum and gets caught every once and a while ? :dunno:  I'm just throwing shit to see if it sticks... :smile:

Yep, gonna go get more large jack stands and run the car with the rear wheels in the air. Noise happens when I brake OR slow down quick without braking, so it's not intermittent. I can control it. I jacked it up in the front and the front brakes seems nice and smooth even though I cant spin the wheels so fast.

Bullitt-

Quote from: soundcontrol on June 26, 2021, 09:35:48 AM

Noise happens when I brake OR slow down quick without braking, so it's not intermittent. .

This makes me think of the time my '73's front universal joint went bad.. Didn't notice anything during acceleration/rolling along but if I let off the gas it would chirp some then as I applied the brakes it raised a ruckus.....best as I can remember as that was in the '70's 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

soundcontrol

Quote from: Bullitt- on June 26, 2021, 09:59:05 AM
Quote from: soundcontrol on June 26, 2021, 09:35:48 AM

Noise happens when I brake OR slow down quick without braking, so it's not intermittent. .

This makes me think of the time my '73's front universal joint went bad.. Didn't notice anything during acceleration/rolling along but if I let off the gas it would chirp some then as I applied the brakes it raised a ruckus.....best as I can remember as that was in the '70's

You might be right! I have the car on 4 jack stands now and I can not reproduce the noice with the tires spinning free. I can feel a small play in the front U-joint. And I do not think that the noise comes from the rear wheels, seems to come from under the car in front when I drive. Gonna order new U-joints next week.  Now, do I need to take them out and measure?, seems to be many different options and sized on RockAuto, or does anyone know what I need? 318/904/7 1/4" axle.

Bullitt-

I would say measuring first would be your best bet....

blown motor

:iagree: Really, anything else is just a guess. Measure it and be sure.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

three two barrels

The 318/904 combo used the small ujoint, a 7260, the large ujoint is the 7290.
2 1/8 ID versus 2 5/8 ID

soundcontrol

Bullitt- was right, changed both U-joints today and that took care of it! Thanks!  :thankyou:

Now I have a water leak somewhere, it never ends....
Drips on the steering middle rod and seems to come from somewhere around the oil filter, suspecting a freeze plug.
No leaks on the heater hoses right above. I might just try some "stop leak" fluid for now.

soundcontrol

Tried "Stop Leak", didn't work, located the leak to the freeze plug next to the oil filter.
Hopefully I can change that with the engine in place tomorrow.
Is the freeze plug size 1 5/8" there?

MoparLeo

If they are all the same age, be prepared for them to go next. Use brass or an expanding plug. Must be seated properly and the casting plug must be clean.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...