Main Menu

Suggestions on size for new torsion bars

Started by GrandpaKevin, June 16, 2019, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Thinking of finally replacing the original torsion bars on the wife's 1971 R/T Challenger.

The car is an original 340 car and the T bars are probably the originals.

The car has a 440 Six Pack engine with aluminum heads and water pump housing so it might be a bit lighter than stock.

It's running taller 225/70-15 tires in the front and I have the front raised a bit as that's the look the wife likes.

The car is a street cruiser and the wife is looking for a nice comfortable ride.
I installed QA1 upper control arms and all new steering and suspension parts already and I'm thinking of replacing the lower control arms with QA1 ones when I do the T bars.
The car will not be driven super hard in the corners so super firm with extra tight handling is not needed.

I'm thinking about a little bigger than stock Mopar big block T bars. 
The PST 1.03 bars look pretty interesting? They are priced pretty good.
I've read PST had clocking issues with their T bars in the past but that has been corrected.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Sounds like a good call !
I understand the new challs have close to the feel of a 1.25 diameter bar if you want to go higher ,

70 Challenger Lover

Given that your wife enjoys the car and prefers cruising to performance, I'd go with the stock diameter for a big block which I think is around .90.

I just picked up a Barracuda with a 318 and it had its original wimpy bars. Before it got delivered, I was considering putting bars on it a few sizes larger. After driving the car though, I don't think I will. It cruises so nicely now. It feels almost like a C body the way it just soaks up the bumps. My wife commented how nice it rode down the freeway and she is not a fan of older cars at all. I will definitely get some high quality shocks soon but I'm really happy with these soft bars since I only plan to use the car for cruising around.

dodj

I have these and really like them. My 440 has the same aluminium additions as yours.
https://p-s-t.com/i-23157797-1-03-torsion-bar-b-e-body.html#!model%3DCHALLENGER%20R%2FT%7C%7Cmake%3DDODGE%7C%7Cyear%3D1970

The ride is much better than stock. Much better around corners.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

I bought a set from my Mopar dealer that were, I think, somewhere in the .940- .960" range and they were just under $200 Canadian dollars- so figure $49.50 USDs eh? The car handles well and the ride isn't TOO harsh.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

Wouldn't the 1.03 bars be harsher? I could see them being a big improvement for cornering but is it possible to get a stronger bar and yet a softer ride?

Chryco Psycho

The bigger the diameter the stiffer the bar but shocks have a lot to do with ride quality as well so yes you could increase diameter & maintain a soft ride with the correct shock or an adjustable shock

RUNCHARGER

I ran a few sets of .96's and I would like to try the 103's I think. Shocks will have more effect on ride quality.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Good to hear. The shocks on my Barracuda are the $20 Monroe's and they are a complete joke. I cringe at spending $500 for shocks but I like the sound of an even better ride.

On my other cars, I'd like to try the 1.03 bars but I was concerned it might make for a harsh ride. I'll have to pony up for good shocks on them too.

dodj

:iagree:
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 16, 2019, 08:11:03 PM
Good to hear. The shocks on my Barracuda are the $20 Monroe's and they are a complete joke. I cringe at spending $500 for shocks but I like the sound of an even better ride.

On my other cars, I'd like to try the 1.03 bars but I was concerned it might make for a harsh ride. I'll have to pony up for good shocks on them too.
I do not find the ride harsh at all and it feels much more 'in control' around corners. You don't lean over so much. I also have a 1 1/8" sway bar. Might be 1 1/4"...memory is going as I approach retirement...lol
I spent closer to $600 for two each of these double adjustable QA1 shocks.
You can really change how the car handles with these.
Whoops. Forgot the link....
https://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/stocker-star-non-coil-over-shocks?application=2&make=3&model=10&year=19
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

jordan

The larger torsion bars will hold the car up better.  High quality shocks will make it feel smooth or firm.  I recommend a larger t-bar, and a nice set of adjustable shocks.  That way you can tune the way the car feels.  If you want it squishy, it can be.  If you want it firm, it can be.  I have heard good things about the Fox shocks and torsion bars from Hotchkis.  If you have the money to blow, get the best you can.  If not, then find a way to work Bilsteins into the t-bar exchange.  You get what you pay for when it comes to suspension.  Almost anything is better than stock.  Good luck.
"Don't brake until you see God!"