Main Menu

Will a Firm Feel Suspension Inc Sector Support Kit fit a later Borgeson PS Box?

Started by chryslers4ever, January 22, 2019, 12:46:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chryslers4ever

A few questions for members? For reference, I have a E-body with a Firm  Feel Inc reinforced K-member (Not installed yet) and the latest Borgeson (Isuzu) power steering box. Will a Firm Feel Inc sector support kit fit my application? and with the reinforced K-member, will  the sector support kt, make a difference, and reduce flex? To recap, will it fit and further reduce flex?

Dakota

As for the "will it fit" question, the sector support bearing threads onto the steering box shaft where the large nut would normally be (no change to the pitman arm position; the lock washer is still used). If the shaft for your box is the same diameter and thread pattern, my belief is it should fit.  I would call Firm Feel to make sure - they are very responsive to phone calls and emails in my experience.

My K member has the Firm Feel stiffening kit too.  There is no direct interference with the various plates and washers that are welded in, but in my case I also welded around the perimeter of the K member.  That perimeter weld material, at least the way I did it, intereferes with mounting the sector support bearing bracket on the K Member as the bend in the bracket is in the wrong place now.  I am likely going to add a splice into the bracket to compensate as I don't want to mess with the K member now that it's finally mounted. 

I can't answer the "is it better" question, I only drove my car about a mile before tearing it apart over 5 years ago.  My approach since then has been to get everything available to improve the stiffness of the existing frame.   US Cartool has a lot of my money.   :takemymoney:   The car isn't on the road yet, but there's a link immediately below from Firm Feel's website to an article on the development of the sector support bearing. I thought the article made a pretty compelling case that the bearing support should be an improvement.

http://www.firmfeel.com/articles/MAarticle2011dec.pdf

Good luck! 

chryslers4ever

I took your advice and called Firm Feel Inc and they answered my question.

Thanks everybody,

AL

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: chryslers4ever on January 22, 2019, 02:44:17 PM
I took your advice and called Firm Feel Inc and they answered my question.

Thanks everybody,

AL

...so will it fit? My Borgeson does not have any extra threads under the pitman arm nut for a support.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Dakota

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on January 22, 2019, 06:21:47 PM

...so will it fit? My Borgeson does not have any extra threads under the pitman arm nut for a support.
[/quote]

The main component of the sector support bearing replaces the pitman arm nut.  Note: the mounting plate for the sector support bearing is not present in the picture. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still curious if the nut thread size and relation to the K-frame will still allow it to fit.

I do not have a reinforced k frame and feel like this would be a more direct way to react steering loads into the K, rather than a bunch of gussets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

chryslers4ever

Firm Feel did not recommend it with there reinforced K-member modification.

HP2

Quote from: chryslers4ever on January 24, 2019, 01:47:20 PM
Firm Feel did not recommend it with there reinforced K-member modification.

Glad to hear they confirmed this.  IMO, before hearing this, the bearing support is best used for assembled cars that the owner does not want to weld on. If you car is apart  and under construction, a reinforced K provides the stable platform to reduce deflection that the bearing helps address.