Main Menu

How determine rear leaf spring weak ?

Started by Racer57, September 26, 2020, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda 383   275 tires

Car measured at fender lip is 25" at all corners after replacing strut rod bushings and torsion stops being readjusted.  I would like to raise rear 1". I have done a lot of reading of posts in this forum about various options on raising, but I don't want to mess with fixing something thats worn out.

How do I determine whether I have good springs that only need an extra leaf versus needing new rear leafs and readjusting torsion ?  Also, where is best place to buy one leaf and parts needed to add it ?

Wife made me write this part..............OR am I overthinking it and "just add the damn leaf and forget about it !!! "  ?  LOL I swear, she made me add this !!!!

Skdmark

I just replaced my original leafs with a HD set from Eaton Detroit Spring with a +1 inch arch over stock. Ordered, manufactured (in USA) and delivered in about 2 weeks time. That and quality shocks all around  has made a night and day difference in ride quality and stance.

The other noticable difference is getting in and out of the car or when I have passengers get in and out, now the car barely moves.
Before it was real soft and you could feel the car lean and drop as it was loaded and unloaded.

You might want to check out replacing your leafs instead of adding a leaf.
Re-arching is another option.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

I used to add a main leaf all the time but that was when you went to the JY and paid $20 or so for a set. Those springs are 50 years old now and Eaton has a good reputation.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I have often added 1 extra leaf , it works well .
You can judge the condition of your spring by age & milage but also visually if they are bent at all or arc the wrong way or are just too soft , if they are 50 years old replace them but go with Eaton or Espo & get good quality & service .