Main Menu

B5fourspeed Cuda Restoration Progress

Started by Topcat, January 07, 2017, 02:27:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

captcolour

Quote from: B5fourspeed on February 11, 2018, 08:53:44 AM
The test fit on the AMD fenders went pretty well.The body lines mate up very well.Next is to test fit the grille to see how the headlight buckets match up.The driver side quarter is all screw down for its final mock up.Next is the passenger side that is ready to be screw down.Then I will mock up the tail panel and trunk lid for the final time.I swear I took the quarters on and off 30 times during this process.Thanks Mike for taking the pictures.Thanks Bruce for showing me how much work I have left.Just Kidding.I hope {Gracie) is still running strong.Great forum Cody thanks for all your great work putting this together.
Gracie is doing great.  She has a sister now, Gladys.  This will be my retirement project in a few years.

Topcat

Quote from: B5fourspeed on February 11, 2018, 08:53:44 AM
The test fit on the AMD fenders went pretty well.The body lines mate up very well.Next is to test fit the grille to see how the headlight buckets match up.The driver side quarter is all screw down for its final mock up.Next is the passenger side that is ready to be screwed down.Then I will mock up the tail panel and trunk lid for the final time.I swear I took the quarters on and off 30 times during this process.Thanks Mike for taking the pictures.Thanks Bruce for showing me how much work I have left.Just Kidding.I hope {Gracie) is still running strong.Great forum Cody thanks for all your great work putting this together.

You're welcome Bob.  :slapme5:

Glad to see you here finally.

Now if I can only get these others I recruited to start coming here and posting.  :haha:

71340RT

Coming along fine I had my last quarter panel replacements off and on at least 15 times fitting everything up.
1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto

B5fourspeed

I am putting the car on a rotisserie next week to weld in the torque boxes.i am debating whether to undercoat or not.The floor pans and trunk floor,center crossmember are all new.What do you guys think of undercoating?I feel I have 3 options: 1. Undercoating 2.Paint body color3.Apply a sealer that would look like a dark gray.The underneath looks so nice right now even before i clean up any of the welds.The car will never see rain.Any thoughts.

packnsix

If I had to do my car over again (full body color underneath) I would mimic the factory look with the gray and overspray. Something about that look just appeals to me more as my tastes and understanding of these cars has changed.

RUNCHARGER

Never see any rain? Well then there really is only one way to do it if the car is stock. That is primered first with body colour lightly blown in from the sides when the exterior is painted. My FJ5 Challenger was shiny green under there and while it was easy to wipe off it looked too flashy and incorrect for me. I never did undercoat the wheelwells on the orange one though.
Sheldon

Topcat

Bob and his friend Ed put his Cuda on the rotisserie.

Trial fitted the U.S. Cartool Torque Boxes.
Those took alot of work to get fit right.

B5fourspeed

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shane Kelley

usraptor

I agree with Runcharger.  If it's never going to see rain, there is no need for undercoating.  I undercoated my wheel wells, but left the undercarriage :bigthumb: :bigthumb: in paint.

B5fourspeed

My holes in the AMD  quarter panels for the  rear side marker lights are a little low where the socket goes into.The passenger side need to go down about an 1/8 inch and the driver side about a 1/4.For the passenger side I was thinking of using a block of wood and a 5 pound hammer.Any thoughts of a good remedy.I really do not want to slice the drop off but that might be my only solution.

usraptor

Quote from: B5fourspeed on May 05, 2018, 11:26:40 AM
My holes in the AMD  quarter panels for the  rear side marker lights are a little low where the socket goes into.The passenger side need to go down about an 1/8 inch and the driver side about a 1/4.For the passenger side I was thinking of using a block of wood and a 5 pound hammer.Any thoughts of a good remedy.I really do not want to slice the drop off but that might be my only solution.

I had the same issue with my passenger side.  Either the holes are slightly off on the aftermarket quarters, the extensions are to tall or were installed slightly higher than stock by my body man,  After pounding on the corner, top of the extension I never could get it to go down far enough to fit the side marker light socket.  So I just left it out.  I probably won't be driving at night that much anyway and even if I am who's going to notice that there's no light in it? 

B5fourspeed

I need a good 3/8's of an inch to clear the drop-off.Today I went to fix them and I need more than I thought.It seems like the issue is with the aftermarket drop-offs.I think I am going to slice the drop off and hammer it down.Any other ideas out there.It is just the end where the socket goes.