Main Menu

Took 20 years, but I was willing at any price, finally got my engine back.

Started by Mr Cuda, March 01, 2022, 02:13:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

Been on the hunt for years. The original motor to my car got separated 35 years ago.
I stumbled upon the car years later and made contact with the 3rd owner since "my" engine was installed in his.
Now, I didn't own my car when the motor was pulled. It had been swapped by the previous  owner.
  So to get my core back, I had to provide a date code original.  Fully rebuilt and balanced.  And I had to install it.
That meant correcting all the years of driveway butchery on the car. Throwing away the hardware store fasteners, and wrong parts. 
Of course cleaning under the hood, and thankful I didn't have to paint the engine bay.
  Now I have a worn out engine to restore and detail as a static display. I have it's non matching clone ready for the car already.
Was that a fair trade?   That was his deal. He pretty much had me hostage.

I got the motor to my other car back a little easier.
I purchased 2 cars from the same person.  The first was a barracuda that he put a 340 into. It was a 904, 7 1/4 car. I pulled the 340 and put a 318 back in, and sold the 340.
10 years later, I  bought the 340 car. Now I wanted the engine back. 
Meanwhile 10 years of abuse with the other owner had left my 340 with a flat cam, and bad guides.
To get it, I had to assemble a hot 318 for him with all of his parts. He installed it,  but made me wait 6 more years
before selling the motor back to me.

The rest of my cars have no hope of ever finding the original motors.

Mopsquad

blown motor

Was it a fair trade? If it made you happy then yes it was a fair trade.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Filthy Filbert

If you were ok with it, cool.   But dang.  I would feel guilty if I make a deal like that with someone. 

I'd settle for 'labor and financial cost to me of $0 and 0 hours; and equal condition when done"

And even then, I'd at least help with pulling and reinstalling on my own car

Mr Cuda

40 years ago, we didn't care about numbers.
Now, the first question is,  "matching numbers"?
    I blame all of you,  LoL.
If it were a hemi, it would add value.   Most small block, not much additional.
But definitely something. Car has good history.