Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

anlauto

So I guess there is no law determining what side of the car the steering wheel HAS to be on ?  Then why would the car(s) be converted in the first place ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BAM

The car was converted back in 1974 because it was owned by a lady which was not very comfortable driving a LHD on the wrong side of the road.

The car suffered a lot of modification typical of the early 70s on a tiny island...

BAM

What would you guys choose from the 2 below? Or is it better just to go ahead and redo the 318 i already have?

RUNCHARGER

#2, not sure what your final cost would be with shipping and fees compared to what you can do local. I like local but it depends if you have a good machine shop near you and what parts you might need. If you just want a 318 and you have pickup trucks local I would look for a 92, 318 Magnum in a pickup and convert it's intake manifold to one to use a Holley sniper injection system and find a car oil pan for it.
Sheldon

BAM

Anyone used the door panels from OER? any good?

Country/Region of Manufacture: TAIWAN
Brand: OER
Manufacturer Part Number: ME857100
CS-SKU: 437:ME857100

Also, any experience with https://shoptntparts.com/ ? I see everything is quite expensive on their site but probably good quality stuff.

:wrenching:

BAM

Seeing some new metal on the car, really keeps me going

BAM

guys, i`m sorry if i`m getting annoying but i need your expert advices on some stuff:

1. will this fit my car, considering i`m changing the firewall with a new one for A/C cars: Vintage Air 574074-EDZ - Vintage Air Gen-IV SureFit Systems Evaporator Kits
2. Anyone having a brake pedal assembly for 1970 with power brakes?
3. Anyone having a emergency brake pedal assembly for 1970?
4. Can someone advise on a complete list of parts for the front and rear suspension?
5. can someone advise on a complete disc brake conversion kit (some good quality brand)

Anyone selling 2 front fenders and willing to ship them to Cyprus? I don`t even care if they are reproduction in NEW quality and you make something on top.

I need a recommendation for a dashboard, Seat foams, Seat covers, Center console, Door Panels, Carpet, etc.

I did loads of research on everything but having zero experience on restorations or any mechanics, I need some more opinions from people that know what they are talking about.

Thank you!

YellowThumper

With all you require it would almost be worth it to have an entire shell shipped over there to disassemble and discard the remaining carcass.

Edit...
Your #1 question appears to be the correct air setup for factory air firewall. With standard guage dash. Not Rallye dash
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

cudamadd

BAM

Thanks YellowThumper.

It appears that my original gas tank has some vents opposite the filler hole. I`m trying to find a replacement on Summitracing.com but it seems that all of them will have the filler hole on the wrong side somehow and none of them having those vents.

Do i actually need a vented gas tank? if Yes, anyone knows the part number for it?

YellowThumper

Opposite the filler will be your fuel level guage and outlet to the fuel feed.
The venting changed year to year and even a bit from state to state requirements.
Yes venting is required.
You could omit the tank vent by using a vented filler cap.
There are always the 50/50% issue of good and bad.
Good is it is easy way for venting.
Bad is fuel smell in garage when parked.
Other issue is the possibility of fuel slosh that can ruin exterior paint.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BAM

Quote from: YellowThumper on February 09, 2021, 02:18:11 PM
Opposite the filler will be your fuel level guage and outlet to the fuel feed.
The venting changed year to year and even a bit from state to state requirements.
Yes venting is required.
You could omit the tank vent by using a vented filler cap.
There are always the 50/50% issue of good and bad.
Good is it is easy way for venting.
Bad is fuel smell in garage when parked.
Other issue is the possibility of fuel slosh that can ruin exterior paint.

Thank you for the above info. So there are 3-4 little tubes. One for the fuel level gauge, one for the venting and what are the rest for? :) The car is manufactured on the 6th of October 1969 if it makes any difference.

Also, could you point out a correct gas tank on summitracing.com that would fit and be what i need?

Much appreciated!

Dakota

I vented my gas tank through a carbon canister that's mounted in the passenger side wheel well against the core support (70 Challenger).  There's a vacuum actuated valve that opens the canister to a carb port once the engine picks up speed.  I'm using a FiTech EFI so the computer adjusts the fuel mix for the added gas vapors when they are there.

There's no gas smell in the garage and all the hardware is out of sight unless someone makes a point of looking up in the wheel well.  I only have about 500 miles on the car but so far it seems to be working well. 

BAM

Is the little "button" on the steering column for tilting or what does it do?