Main Menu

1970 Challenger SE - Massive restoration

Started by BAM, January 24, 2021, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Quote from: BAM on March 27, 2021, 04:34:46 AM
Quote from: anlauto on March 27, 2021, 04:22:26 AM
The factory cars have a seem there that is typically filled with lead.

This being a reproduction AMD roof skin, the part circled by me, sits about 1cm higher and there doesn't seem to be any seam to fill. Just from the photo, would you say that the roof skin is installed correctly?

Answer to your question is no that does not appear correct.
The transition from roof to A pillar is smooth.
It should not step up. I suspect the step down should tuck under the existing A pillar surface.
Here are a couple pics of mine. All factory original. Including the factory poor leading.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

BAM

So the new door skins are on. Driver side is from AMD, passenger side is Goodmark. Both fit absolutely perfect! Quarter panels, roof skin, deck lid, etc are screwed in and almost ready to be welded - Tiny adjustments to be done so that everything will line up perfectly.

I`m still in need of front fenders which are ordered for the 3rd time. This time, from Jegs which has them on backorder from AMD (on AMD website, they are in stock so i don`t really understand). Also, this week, i should get the trunk lid, dashboard, front and rear valances, overhead console, the inside ornament for the rear SE window, etc etc

The engine is almost ready, gearbox is next. I received the QA1 K frame which will go in as soon as i get the rest of the front suspension and hopefully, we can go to the paint shop in the next 2 weeks :)

Didn`t decide about the color just yet but i think i`ll go for the plum crazy with the black vinyl roof or maybe the B5 Bright blue with the black top...not sure just yet.

Seat foams, steering column, steering wheel, the whole steering linkage and other bits and pieces are also on the way. The rest of the interior will have to wait for a while as I`m running out of $$$ for everything else. I will probably start ordering stuff slowly and once i have everything i need, i will finalize the project (end of this year)

I will slowly start restoring the chrome parts myself and anything else i can do inhouse  :bradsthumb:

anlauto

This project is really coming along at a feverish pace...that's awesome :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Great progress. I think we have to ship our cars overseas if we want the bodywork done in a quick manner.
Sheldon

antonellomopar

lot of efforts for this Challenger...great work....
Sent you a private message

BAM

Is there a cardboard or fiberglass headliner that my car should have or it's just insulation and the leather headliner with the bows? How does the overhead console mounts?
:notsure:

Chryco Psycho

SE cars all had the fiber board roof & the console bolted to it , I believe someone finally got an original to make a mold from & is reproducing a replacement part , but I am not sure who that is .
They wanted mine to make a mold from but I figured if something happened to mine or it didn't get returned I would have been in a bad position not having one .

BAM

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 08, 2021, 09:34:44 PM
SE cars all had the fiber board roof & the console bolted to it , I believe someone finally got an original to make a mold from & is reproducing a replacement part , but I am not sure who that is .
They wanted mine to make a mold from but I figured if something happened to mine or it didn't get returned I would have been in a bad position not having one .

It's this guy making them but they are not responsive at all

https://www.seheadliners.com/

I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago asking for prices and shipping quotation but no reply so far... I'll try calling them next week. Meanwhile, the car has most of the glass in (windshield on the way from summit). Doors are closing like a brand new car, all panels line up perfectly, fenders to be here in about 1 month...

Old original fenders were mounted for alignment with the doors and everything else.

In 2 weeks, the car should be ready for paint but I'll wait for the fenders so i get it done all together.

I have seen today for the 1st time the rear RT valance with cutouts which are HUGE... I wonder what size exhaust tips do i have to fit in there...

anlauto

Are you going back to the original blue colour, or something different ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BAM

Quote from: anlauto on April 09, 2021, 01:00:17 PM
Are you going back to the original blue colour, or something different ?

@anlauto to be honest I'm not sure. Was thinking to go plum crazy or the original b5 blue. I'm still not sure which way to go 😀

anlauto

Purple is really popular, at least in North America, the blue is real nice if you get the colour right, it really pops in the sun, and you don't see as many around :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

Do you have the small SE rear window, fibreglass plug, trim and inside window molding as well as the upper console, bezel, lights etc? If not I would suggest making it a normal rear window and normal non SE headliner. Much less complicated and easier/much cheaper to do the headliner.
Sheldon

BAM

I did acquire the overhead console and the inside rear window trim and i have the plug and small window original to the car. The SE trim actually makes me love this car even more so I'll definitely keep going that way.

@anlauto i think I'll eventually go with the original blue and black vinyl roof if I'll manage to find the paint code

Chryco Psycho

B5 is bright blue metallic & there are  at least 3 different versions , the first letter determines the year it was created , so you get EB5 & GB5 which are different colors , Personally I would look at B7 blue which is a rare & very cool color & is darker than the B5