Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HEMICUDA

With the AMD quarters, the slots for the rear quarter window sweeps are not in the correct location, you may want to check that.

1970Cuda

Thanks for positive feedback everyone - very much appreciate it.

I did use the AMD quarters, because I was informed that they were the best. And thanks for the heads up on this issue, However, I'm really not sure how to check the seep hole locations honestly. Are you saying that it means that water will sit between the quarters and unibody in the quarter window area and not drain properly? Is there a suggested remedy for this? We're still a slight ways away from painting it. If you can provide a suggestion, that'd be great A little naive on it.

But I have a few pictures to post.

Also, any suggestions on whether to replace the vinyl roof (which mine had - FE5 with a black vinyl roof). I'd need to plug the holes for the stainless trim if I decide to of course. Now is the time to be making that decision. Ideas anyone?

And yes, the hood is awesome! I really appreciate the hood and scoops. And I'm doing it right too, no major corner cutting for this project. Mostly keeping it as close to stock as possible.

Best of luck on everyone's projects.

nsmall

Nice progress.  Looking real sharp! :bradsthumb:

Morty426

He said sweeps not seeps.

I think he means you need to check your cat whiskers and how the mount to the quarter. 

If you are putting a vinyl top on it you need to have a stud gun as the clips for the trim go on studs

anlauto

Quote from: Morty426 on November 10, 2018, 12:03:32 AM

I think he means you need to check your cat whiskers and how the mount to the quarter. 

If you are putting a vinyl top on it you need to have a stud gun as the clips for the trim go on studs

Are you sure about this in 1970 ? 1971-74 yes, but 70 I don't think so... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Morty426

Quote from: anlauto on November 10, 2018, 04:25:24 AM

Are you sure about this in 1970 ? 1971-74 yes, but 70 I don't think so... :alan2cents:

Darn I'll have to double check when I get home  :-[

Cuda Cody

Quote from: anlauto on November 10, 2018, 04:25:24 AM

:iagree:

1970 are holes for the screws and 71 to 74 studs for the clips.

nsmall

@1970Cuda

Just making sure you got the info above.   :ohyeah:

1970Cuda

Yeah, they're definitely a spring clip with a stud and screw-on back. I bagged and tagged everything I took off. Unfortunately a lot of the car was apart when received. I'm hoping someone reproduces the clips because mine need replacement. (See pic.)

usraptor

[quote author
Quote from: 1970Cuda on November 10, 2018, 03:09:05 PM
Yeah, they're definitely a spring clip with a stud and screw-on back. I bagged and tagged everything I took off. Unfortunately a lot of the car was apart when received. I'm hoping someone reproduces the clips because mine need replacement. (See pic.)

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep 1970.  I had to put those in my '70 'Cuda with a vinyl top.  Much easier to fasten if the back seat and package tray are out of the car.  It can be done from the trunk if you are a contortionist.
:iagree:

1970 are holes for the screws and 71 to 74 studs for the clips.
[/quote]

1970Cuda

A quick update on the '70 'Cuda build ... so my body craftsman/painter had me pick up most of the painted sheet metal today for safe storage away from his shop. Below is the picture. I'll take a few more in the next week or so.

One question we had was about the fenders and what the factory used to protect the underside of them (from rocks and other debris being picked up from the tires). I don't want to dent my nice refurbished fenders from the underside.

I've got most of suspension finished, but I still need to research all the paint daubs, numbers, etc., to make it look more factory correct. I took tons of pictures, but most of the original markings that I could see were long faded/gone. I've seen some great builds on here and they're really an inspiration to kick up my game on my restoration.

Thanks for all your feedback and comments.

GCragtop

Morty426

Quote from: 1970Cuda on January 26, 2019, 10:02:49 PM
A quick update on the '70 'Cuda build ... so my body craftsman/painter had me pick up most of the painted sheet metal today for safe storage away from his shop. Below is the picture. I'll take a few more in the next week or so.

One question we had was about the fenders and what the factory used to protect the underside of them (from rocks and other debris being picked up from the tires). I don't want to dent my nice refurbished fenders from the underside.

I've got most of suspension finished, but I still need to research all the paint daubs, numbers, etc., to make it look more factory correct. I took tons of pictures, but most of the original markings that I could see were long faded/gone. I've seen some great builds on here and they're really an inspiration to kick up my game on my restoration.

Thanks for all your feedback and comments.

The factory undercoated the wheel well area after they bolted in the plastic shields. 

anlauto

I'm surprized a body shop wouldn't bolt all that back on for you. It would be easier for them, then fixing paint chips later. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

That's what I was thinking. Lots of stress coming up.
Sheldon