Main Menu

1970 FE5 'Cuda Build

Started by 1970Cuda, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Very nice. I have been quietly following.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Wayne

Just found your project thread.  Very nice car!  Im working on a FE5 70 Cuda as well.

In regards to the paint, I just sprayed some paint I had mixed to the paint code and its definately different than the original paint on the car.  I am a little bummed as I didn't paint the entire car was hoping to have it match better.  I am going to try and spend some extra time buffing the paint next to the area I sprayed to see if that makes it any better.  We'll see. 
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

1970Cuda

Wayne: Good luck on your project and your color matching. Keep me updated so that we can compare notes.

Two minute ticker on project update:

So I finally finished my suspension updates and corrections on the spindles (thanks again for letting me know anlauto).

Here's a couple of pictures I took over the weekend with it final settled back to earth.

Also, even though my 'Cuda came originally with a vinyl top, I've decided not to replace it. I figure that if someone else wants to put in on great, and it can always be done after the fact and it probably won't detract from the appeal of the vehicle.

Next step is to finish painting the chassis and get it back to it's stable where it belongs.

1970Cuda

So another short update:

My car is finally sporting its new Rallye Red (FE5) paint, and I'm somewhat relieved that it's more red than orange.

We are planning on returning the car to my residence next weekend (4/11/20), where all the parts that I've been amassing are ready to be installed. The fenders, doors, trunk lid, etc., are here and we are hoping to have all that at least roughly fitted on Saturday. It could be a long day! Below are some pictures of the new paint.

One thing I did noticed is that the back panel is painted gloss black instead of flat black. Q: It seems that it's painted in texture of some kind on original cars. Does anyone know if that's true or what type of paint is used? (Thanks for your information.)

So progress is being made. Good luck to everyone on your restorations.

Wayne

Man do I love FE5!  Paint looks great, so bright.  Your making great progress.   :banana:
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

RUNCHARGER

Red is like green or brown, it looks great when shiny not as good when weathered. That tail panel should be painted organisol black, organisol is a textured semi flat black paint with a slight bit of metallic in it. Not wrinkle black but textured black.
Sheldon

JS29

usraptor

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 06, 2020, 08:14:56 AM
Red is like green or brown, it looks great when shiny not as good when weathered. That tail panel should be painted organisol black, organisol is a textured semi flat black paint with a slight bit of metallic in it. Not wrinkle black but textured black.

In the old days I agree about the paint weathering quickly.  However, with today's modern two stage paints I don't think that will be a issue.  Especially, since our cars are not daily drivers and left outside for any length of time.  Another alternative for the tail panel which is very close to the original is "hot rod black."  That's what my painter used and IMHO it looks like the stock color. I'll admit when he was first painted it I was concerned that it was glossy, but he assured me it would "flatten" when it dried and he was correct. I know the picture isn't the best (It's 50 years old) but for comparison purposes the last picture is of my original 1970 Cuda's rear tail panel.

1970Cuda

Hi everyone,

Great information and really appreciate all the positive comments and feedback! I think you're right on the new paints being so much better than the older ones. Plus, since this is garage kept I think fading will be minimal.

I'll pass along to my painter the information on the Organisol black paint. Sure wish I would have mentioned it to him earlier. But at least it can be corrected. But it really makes the rest of the paint "pop" with the textured finish.

I'm very pleased how it turned out and most importantly, it's coming home so that I can start reassembling it.
I'll keep this thread posted as I work through the kinks on the restoration.

Thanks! And best wishes to everyone out there on their projects.

Mr Lee

Coming along very nicely indeed. Glad you wound up liking the paint color.  Looks great. 
Are those the wheels that will end up on the car when done?  What size are those Hoosiers?  I like em!  And what size rims?  Are you going to run dog dishes?  If so, I think thats going to look totally bad ass. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

1970Cuda

Hey thanks for the positive feedback.

On the wheels, I actually am going to run a set of four, original (and I believe optional) 15"X 7" Rallye wheels. My friend picked them up at a local swap meet and I purchased them a few years back (not cheap).

I'm debating on the wheels and tires, as I'd either like to run a new set of Hoosiers on the Rallye wheels.

Or I might possibly run a set of Goodyear Eagle front runners on Fenton (Gyros) (3.5" X 15") and rears (15" X 7"). I still need to find the rear Fenton wheels. (If anyone knows of a set of rears, please let me know.)

First things first though, I need to get further along on the restoration. This is the fun part of the restoration; putting it back together.

RUNCHARGER

This is the original PPH lacquer organisol I sprayed on my HemiCuda when you could still get the paint. Not a great photo but it's the best one I have.
Sheldon

1970Cuda

Wow, that's a great looking tail light panel on your '70 'Cuda. I wonder how the PPG new Organisol looks compared to the lacquer? I'm thinking it still looks pretty good. I went ahead (since I'm so deep into the project anyway) and purchased a quart of it that my body craftsman is going to shoot for me. I bought too much, but I have a few buddies who will need it in the future, and I've heard it will keep for a long time.

I like the matte finish, which looks nice; however, I think the texture will look good too. Thanks to all for sharing their pictures.

1970Cuda

So yesterday I received the Organisol paint (quart, not rattle can), and my painter applied it already. It looks a lot more factory correct and I think turned out really nice. I wanted to update my thread.

Below are the pictures.

JS29