Main Menu

1971 cuda convertible

Started by E74cuda, April 29, 2020, 08:56:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

E74cuda

I picked up this 1971 cuda convertible a few months ago. It's an unrestored car with a 30 or so year old exterior repaint. Ordered as a Y13 dealer demo it has some pretty good options such as Curious Yellow exterior, black interior and top, power steering, power front disc brakes, air conditioning, power top, light group, AM/FM radio, luggage rack and a few more. Original standard gauge with clock along with column shift. A late build car with it's complete original drive train intact a few build sheets and original paperwork that goes back to the original owner and dealership. I'm going to clean it up, make a few changes and put some miles on it.

E74cuda

The first thing on the list was to convert it to a floor shift. Kind of crazy buy I think I was the first person to take the original carpet out of the car. There was several screws and other hardware under the carpet. The hard core guys would probably cringe but the floor shift is just much better looking to me. I did use all original parts for the swap.

E74cuda

Someone sprayed the trunk with Chevy type spatter paint. I stripped it down to the original paint, cleaned and refinished in the correct color. I reused the original exhaust hanger plates along with cleaning up the rear harness and tail light housings. I did a little work to the engine compartment also but it still needs more.

anlauto

Very nice car :drooling: I'm not sure I could have changed it to floor shift, but like you said, it's much better looking and to each their own  :drinkingbud:

What other changes are in store ? Billboards ? Shaker ? Spoilers? Rubber bumpers ? :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

Great looking car! My mindset on hot rods has always been "Burger King.. have it your way". If floor shift is what you want... make it so.  :bigthumb:

RzeroB

Nice!  :bigthumb:  Looks like the car Jason was selling ... I assume it has to be the same car??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

cudaize

That Cuda convertible was owned by a Gentleman in the Emmaus/Macungie PA area from about 1978 until about 10-15 years ago.  I think Wendell bought it from the original owner who was a lady school teacher form Maryland or Virginia.  Here's a youtube video of Wendell driving it and his wife narrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFohdSi4gTU

I wouldn't be surprised if the paint job is 40+ years old.  I've known the car since about 1983 and has mostly been the same.  Wendell really enjoyed driving the car and having fun with it.

Good luck with it.

Mike Afflerbach

cudaize

Here's a picture of it from about somewhere in the neighborhood of 1983-1986.  This was taken at Don Rook's Farm in Pleasant Valley, PA.  He had a party at his house every father's day and it drew about 300 or so cars.  Free beer and food for all.  Burnouts in the street.

Matt M

Eric

Very cool your getting it cleaned up and the way you want it.
Awesome history with photos and video

Matt

nsmall

I like that video from 1998.  Very cool car. :bradsthumb:

E74cuda

Quote from: anlauto on April 29, 2020, 09:32:52 AM
Very nice car :drooling: I'm not sure I could have changed it to floor shift, but like you said, it's much better looking and to each their own  :drinkingbud:

What other changes are in store ? Billboards ? Shaker ? Spoilers? Rubber bumpers ? :)

Planning on adding black billboards. I will go as far as adding some options that a car could have actually had from the factory. So with A/C, no shaker. I also discovered that the car is equipped with S74 which is quick ratio power steering. That includes a T/A power steering box which is on the car.