Main Menu

1971 Cuda Hellcat - Chiquita

Started by 71Cuda, February 24, 2018, 02:33:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71Cuda

These two pics are of the stock Mopar AC setup on the Hellcat. There are two issues using this setup. One is how are you going to control the variable compressor? the second is the clearance between the rack lines and the ac lines.

The solution is the Bouchillon compressor setup. This compressor doesn't need a controller for the variable blades inside and the lines are in a optimal location for routing.
70 Charger, 71 Cuda

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71Cuda

1, the stock pump has a variable style pump, this was done for fuel economy where the pump can run but instead of on or off now with the variable pump it can be on a lot more but with minimal load and therefor minimal cooling

2. the lines on the factory pump are in a very poor location, they almost contact the rack fittings.

3. they don't make a manifold set to bolt on to the pump so you can use custom lines. You would need to jury rig some thing to connect your lines to the compressor lines
70 Charger, 71 Cuda

anlauto

Extremely helpful information, you're making it really easy for the next guy doing one of these swaps :worship: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71Cuda

Some
Rear end pictures to share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
70 Charger, 71 Cuda

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

That's different that you chose to hang the calipers off the front....Is there benefits to that ?

Katfish

Does Bouchillon trim the AC compressor housing like you see in some of the online instructions?
Maybe I missed it, what power steering gear and exhaust manifolds you using?

gzig5

Quote from: 71Cuda on August 07, 2018, 07:57:58 PM

Hard line directly into the caliper??   Makes servicing the brakes or axles more difficult, doesn't it?

71Cuda

Quote from: gzig5 on August 08, 2018, 07:22:57 AM
Quote from: 71Cuda on August 07, 2018, 07:57:58 PM

Hard line directly into the caliper??   Makes servicing the brakes or axles more difficult, doesn't it?

You have a valid point. In this case the line is floating and easily moved allow for pad replacement.

70 Charger, 71 Cuda

71Cuda

Quote from: Katfish on August 08, 2018, 04:11:41 AM
Does Bouchillon trim the AC compressor housing like you see in some of the online instructions?
Maybe I missed it, what power steering gear and exhaust manifolds you using?
I'm using TTI headers, the compress is different physically. It looks mostly the same by the variable compressor sensor and the hardware inside.

70 Charger, 71 Cuda

71Cuda

I didn't pick where in they mounted them either forward or back. It my understanding they are forward so it has a streamlined access to the e brake cable and the mounting of the ebrake setup is easier.
70 Charger, 71 Cuda

anlauto

With that set-up you can still have your E-Brake cables pointing forward with the calipers hanging off the rear.

Sorry I don't have a clear picture of the rear flex hose connecting to the hard line, but it's the same as the front flex hoses. You have a tab welded to the car....they meet there with a large clip to hold them in place.

71Cuda

Alright alright I'm getting back to it... it was hot out this summer.

Gas tank all built up and ready for install.

70 Charger, 71 Cuda

71Cuda

Here are the rear 275/40/17 inch wheels. I loaded the suspension with just a floor jack. It will sit a little lower. I also have the spring set on the lowest mount point on the front mounts.

70 Charger, 71 Cuda