Main Menu

1973 Challenger Rallye JA5

Started by Burdar, April 05, 2017, 11:30:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Back in High School there was a JA5 73 Rally 340 4-spd sitting in the parking lot every day... Pretty girl who knew nothing about cars... And had a pretty darn cool car..

71GranCoupe

Awesome thread and lots of great info for future builds. Took some time to read through it all, but well worth it. Your build should be an inspiration to anyone who is thinking about a 72 and up ride.  :perfect10:

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

Burdar

I literally spent and hour per headlight bucket scrubbing each one with soap/water and 0000 steel wool.  This was before I'd heard of EvapoRust.  I soaked my Dart's headlight buckets in EvapoRust and they came out looking new in a half hour.  Work "smart" not "hard". :alan2cents: 

The paint colors were put on at the factory so the line workers would know which one went where.  The paint markings looked like they were brushed on but later on I found out they were sprayed.

installed...

rad blackout...

Original blackout on latch/horn mounting bracket.

Burdar

Here are some before and after pictures of the components.  The alternator was done by Dixie Restorations.

Jules did the wiper motor and the ECU standoff bracket.  He had the master cover replated but it was pitted and didn't turn out.  I had to buy a replacement.

Booster Dewey rebuilt the booster. Some minor pitting on the front half but it wasn't very bad.

Those are the only things I sent out.  I did the rest myself.  The heater box was rebuilt with gaskets from Jim at DMT.

The vapor separator had some pin holes in it.  My father-in-law brazed them up after all the rust was gone.

HP_Cuda

Great job Darren!!!

That reminds me I just ran out of Evaporust and should get some more. In a pinch I have taken straight lemonjuice and mixed with water and pretty good results as well.

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Rev-It-Up

Wow! Amazing results! Well done!  :unbelievable:
Rev-It-Up

Burdar

Lately I've been using white vinegar diluted with water for the heavier rust removal.  Once the part is clean, I'll dip it in EvapoRust.  Parts don't seem to flash rust after being dipped in the EvapoRust.  The vinegar is much cheaper and lasts longer. 

Cuda Cody

Nice job man.  I still have one wiper motor left that Jules did with a note from him.  I want to put it on a shelf and just remember him and all his work.  Not sure I'll ever use it.  :andyangel: