Main Menu

1974 Challenger Restomod

Started by Dmod1974, December 08, 2019, 09:25:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

Thank you!  It's been a looong 3.5 years to get to this point, though I feel like the last 1.5 years has been much slower progress because of the pandemic and all of the supply chain issues.  I'm hoping to get it on the streets before Fall.

Dmod1974

The trim shop wrapped up the headliner and top install much faster than expected; I actually got the car home on Wednesday.  Even with the 100F weather I couldn't resist working on it.  I started with the metal interior trim around the windows and some under hood odds and ends. 

I'm waiting on some paint masking tape and hard floor protective film to come in from Amazon so I can wrap the body panels up during assembly.  This is the translucent blue stuff that you often see covering new trim parts or other painted pieces to keep them from getting damaged - I don't want to take any chances with the fresh paint and it will be a little tight until I get the Hellcat engine/Tremec Magnum underneath it.

anlauto

Man this thing is looking amazing ............now the fun begins  :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

Quote from: Dmod1974 on June 12, 2022, 06:45:28 AM
Thank you!  It's been a looong 3.5 years to get to this point, though I feel like the last 1.5 years has been much slower progress because of the pandemic and all of the supply chain issues.  I'm hoping to get it on the streets before Fall.
3.5 years for the amount of work you did is fantastic. And the car looks great! You should be proud. I remember looking at this thread when you started it thinking "man, this guy certainly jumps in with both feet, not fazed by cutting out pretty much EVERYTHING from the car"
Quite a transformation. :clapping:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dmod1974

It's been pretty darned hot, and I haven't had much free time to work on it, but I'm inching closer to rolling the powertrain underneath it again and putting real wheels on it.

I'm kind of jumping all over the place based on my mood and what I need done in order, so I got the firewall insulation, pedals, HVAC, and everything else needed to install the fully assembled dash since my brother was in town to give me a hand with the bulky SOB.

I also pulled the trim off to get restored, and will probably attempt that myself after getting a $2300 quote even though the guy said it was all in really good condition with only a few dents in 2 pieces needing extra work.  :looney:

The engine bay is just about ready too; I'm going to make some jumpers and reflare the SS lines going to my line lock/Wilwood prop valve since the tool I'm using is for bench use only.  Only consistent way to properly flare stainless though.

I also stand corrected about the Dapper lighting fitment @anlauto !  I must not have had the adjuster screws run down close enough to where they will be when aimed.  I definitely had clearance issues and ended up taking 5 minutes and a 2" KO punch tool to open the fender bucket area up for clearance.

Katfish

Looks great!
What under dash AC is that?

Dmod1974

Quote from: Katfish on June 30, 2022, 04:21:21 PM
Looks great!
What under dash AC is that?

It's a Vintage Air system.  The ducts aren't hooked up to the HVAC box yet; it's using the factory vents instead of the dash bottom mounted bar.

anlauto

Gees, that Hellcrate really ads a lot to it eh, I've only played with a 392, and there a lot of stuff you got going on that I don't recognize  :huh: :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dmod1974

Quote from: anlauto on June 30, 2022, 04:57:24 PM
Gees, that Hellcrate really ads a lot to it eh, I've only played with a 392, and there a lot of stuff you got going on that I don't recognize  :huh: :worship:

Other than the FPDM and low temp cooling system for the supercharger, the rest of it is almost identical to the other Gen 3 hemi stuff.  The FPDM allows it to run without a return fuel line by directly controlling the pump output (and fuel pressure), so that saves a little plumbing.  Granted, the 2nd cooling circuit more than offsets that!

anlauto

What are the solenoids (?) by the washer jug for ?

Dmod1974

Quote from: anlauto on June 30, 2022, 07:16:29 PM
What are the solenoids (?) by the washer jug for ?

Low and high speed fan operation for my Lincoln MK8 fan.  It draws a ton of current that would burn up a normal relay like the one in the Mopar Performance fuse box.  The solenoids can take the start up and continuous load without failing quickly.

anlauto

Ahhh...thank you, I've got so much to learn  :tired:

YellowThumper

Quote from: anlauto on June 30, 2022, 07:41:58 PM
Ahhh...thank you, I've got so much to learn  :tired:
Those are great continuous duty relays.
Interesting, never thought to use them for fans.
I used 100 amp one in trunk to power fuse and relay block when I moved battery back there.
Your car is looking incredible.
Color choice is my favorite for Ebodys.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Purepony

Amazing progress! Glad to see it all tie in.
What are the plans for the wheels?

Brads70

Absolutely  fantastic job/workmanship! What a beautiful clean car!  :worship: I love the colour! That was always my first choice when I was dreaming about owning an ebody way back when! This is one of my favorite builds on here!  :bradsthumb: