Main Menu

70 challenger restomod

Started by Sleyba, February 08, 2024, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Sleyba

Hello y'all I am new to the whole Mopar world as well new to the whole true full restoration project. My father in law had a 70 challenger that he was building but due to old age and health he put it on back burner for the last 17 years. As a wedding gift he gifted me the car to maybe one day finish the car. I have had the car for close to 5 or so months. today i officially paid off my suspension with Reilly motorsport going all out with it front and rear suspension, with a ford 9in with a 3.75 gear ratio built by Moser, 14in 6 piston willwood front brakes and 12.2 4 piston rear brakes. Bill from Reilly motorsport has been the best person to work with. now unfortunately it is a waiting game now until the suspension gets here. now I am working with Roseville moparts to get a 392 3rdgen hemi with a A41(4l60e) transmission from silversport transmission. I am beyond excited for this build and looking forward trying to gain all the knowledge from this community.

usraptor

:welcome: from Utah.  Sounds like a great project!  :yes:   How about some pics because  :needphotos: .  Several people on the forum have also done that engine conversion so you will be able to get plently of help if you need it.  :wrenching: Keep us posted on your progress!   :twothumbsup:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Sleyba

Quote from: anlauto on February 08, 2024, 06:21:40 PMWhy a Ford rear end ?
More support for modifications and stronger overall. And also what was recommended to me by almost all people

Sleyba

Quote from: usraptor on February 08, 2024, 06:18:15 PM:welcome: from Utah.  Sounds like a great project!  :yes:   How about some pics because  :needphotos: .  Several people on the forum have also done that engine conversion so you will be able to get plently of help if you need it.  :wrenching: Keep us posted on your progress!   :twothumbsup:
still trying to figure out how to post pictures of its current state I don't have a laptop so I am try8ng to figure out how to post pics

Brads70

Welcome! Sounds like a fun project!
This looks interesting ( in case you haven't seen it yet) not cheap though.
https://artmorrison.com/chassis/mopar-k-member/
I've had various cars with Ford 9" , and yes lots of options for that rear end, but I would have went with a Dana 60 . I have them in 2 cars now with no regrets. If you don't have a need to swap out gears often I prefer the Dana 60

https://www.doctordiff.com/drivetrain/dana-60/page-4/

I have the same transmission but went with 4:11 gears, originally had 3:54, found it sort of lugged on the hwy  unless I was going 80 plus.

Sleyba

finally figured out how to post pictures

Sleyba

Quote from: Brads70 on February 09, 2024, 12:38:42 AMWelcome! Sounds like a fun project!
This looks interesting ( in case you haven't seen it yet) not cheap though.
https://artmorrison.com/chassis/mopar-k-member/
I've had various cars with Ford 9" , and yes lots of options for that rear end, but I would have went with a Dana 60 . I have them in 2 cars now with no regrets. If you don't have a need to swap out gears often I prefer the Dana 60

https://www.doctordiff.com/drivetrain/dana-60/page-4/

I have the same transmission but went with 4:11 gears, originally had 3:54, found it sort of lugged on the hwy  unless I was going 80 plus.

I actually did consider the suspension by them, once I got quote though umm yeah 35k was cutting into my budget. that's why I went with Reilly.

I tried to do my homework and it was a tough decision between the dana and the ford 9in ultimately I went with the 9in. and I hope I made the right decision going with the 3.75 gear you're not the first person to tell me I should have gone with 4.11 gearing

Sleyba

some of the quotes i got already paid the suspension in full

cudaragtop

:welcome:
Welcome and cool project!
This will be fun to watch. 
:cheers:

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Sleyba

Quote from: cudaragtop on February 09, 2024, 09:21:48 AM:welcome:
Welcome and cool project!
This will be fun to watch. 
:cheers:
I am beyond excited for this. Now I am just having to wait 6-10 weeks for my suspension to get to me!!!!

HP2

Welcome!

The Dana is the stronger rear, but you aren't doing high rpm launching on a prepared dragstrip with slicks, so its probably not a big deal. The 9" will have a greater range of options and availability and if you don't like the ratio you have, you can easily pick up another third member with whatever gear you want from almost anywhere.

Sleyba

Quote from: HP2 on February 09, 2024, 10:50:43 AMWelcome!

The Dana is the stronger rear, but you aren't doing high rpm launching on a prepared dragstrip with slicks, so its probably not a big deal. The 9" will have a greater range of options and availability and if you don't like the ratio you have, you can easily pick up another third member with whatever gear you want from almost anywhere.
well thank you for that i wont be tracking the car actually goal is to make a daily driver. and hopefully with the tire and trans combo all the online calculators recommended 3.75 it showed the best rpm and at 75mph cruising speed