Main Menu

For those who have installed a vinyl top

Started by Jsand73440, March 25, 2023, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jsand73440

My first car i installed the vinyl top around the drip rail and tucked and glued it up underneath. I'm not sure this is correct, so this one i am doing, I'm asking for some advice if it should be rolled over the drip rail or cut right at the drip rail?

Dmod1974

I believe originally, it was folded over.  I had to trim mine flush because the drip rail trim wouldn't sit right.  I don't know if the repro material is thicker or just stiffer, but I don't think it was conforming around the bend as closely as the OE stuff.

Recheck your front and rear window trim too....  Mine fit perfect up against the metal, but I had to do some trimming and relief cutting (especially at the seams) since the vinyl top material was keeping the trim from sitting flush with the body contours.

anlauto

My guy trims it at the edge otherwise it interferes with the moldings  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jsand73440

Perfect. thanks guys. This top has gone on almost perfect. I must have learned something after the first 2 cars.

57Fury440

The few I did, I trimmed it at the end otherwise the stainless pieces wouldn't seat properly.